I Have A Problem With Steering Slop That No One Knows How To Fix.

Drew.newb

Dec 21, 2014
Hey everyone. I'm new here, and I hate to be one of those guys who makes an account to just ask for help. But, I don't know what else to do. I have a very large amount of play in my steering wheel, around 2-3" worth. I've done everything to try and fix it. I've read for hours and hours on threads and forums, watched videos and checked out diagrams, but I can't find a solution. Please, can someone help me? I'm getting depressed about my ride. It's not fun to drive, and I'm losing hope. It's been about a year now.

I have replaced myself in my 2002 Mustang (base):
-rack and pinion (installed today, had a previous one that leaked 2 months ago but I replaced it under warranty--issue persisted under both).
-ball joints/outer&inner tie rod ends
-MM solid steering shaft (spent so much money on this, didn't fix it)
-steering column
-sway bar linkages & bushings
-control arms (lower with bushing replacement)
-wheel alignment
-wheels are still good condition
-wheel hubs
-coils/springs
-passes wiggle test, everything is super solid

Now, the play has not gotten any better or worse. I thought that it was the steering column since when I disconnected the shaft to the column under my dash/wheel area, it still has the play. The steering wheel can be locked, and if I put a medium amount of force on it, the same amount of play is there.

The play is there regardless if car is off the ground or not, key is in the ignition or not, and even if it's locked (don't get me wrong, you can't move the wheel unless you use force, but the same amount is there from one side to the next).

The only thing I can think of is something is off in the steering column (knuckle, bearing, bushing?) that is causing it to have that play. The play, when connected to the shaft and to the rack, transfers all the way down. As I said, when I disconnect it, the play is solely in the steering column. I took my old one apart, but I couldn't find anything wrong with it. The new one has *the same amount* of play as the old one. I know it can't be suspension because I personally changed everything, and I would think it can't be the column...

I don't know everyone. This is making me really depressed. I've spent countless hours and a little over 5 months trying to fix this. I have talked to some shops about it, but they give me "Oh it's normal; within specs." I know it's not. No one can convince me 2"-3" of random dead zone play is normal.

Please... please help me. View attachment 108083

P.S. This is not my video, but this video is similar to the issue I'm having. There was another one that was more accurate, but no luck either. I messaged each person, but neither replied.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXf5BZcZzvs

P.S.S. Here is the other video I couldn't find:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sucv8ODJB10
But mine has about double that play.

P.S.S.S. Here is a diagram of the column, since I still think that's what's wrong. exploded view for the 2002 Ford Mustang tilt | Steering Column Services

• Sponsors (?)

Hey everyone. I'm new here, and I hate to be one of those guys who makes an account to just ask for help. But, I don't know what else to do. I have a very large amount of play in my steering wheel, around 2-3" worth. I've done everything to try and fix it. I've read for hours and hours on threads and forums, watched videos and checked out diagrams, but I can't find a solution. Please, can someone help me? I'm getting depressed about my ride. It's not fun to drive, and I'm losing hope. It's been about a year now.

I have replaced myself in my 2002 Mustang (base):
-rack and pinion (installed today, had a previous one that leaked 2 months ago but I replaced it under warranty--issue persisted under both).
-ball joints/outer&inner tie rod ends
-MM solid steering shaft (spent so much money on this, didn't fix it)
-steering column
-sway bar linkages & bushings
-control arms (lower with bushing replacement)
-wheel alignment
-wheels are still good condition
-wheel hubs
-coils/springs
-passes wiggle test, everything is super solid

Now, the play has not gotten any better or worse. I thought that it was the steering column since when I disconnected the shaft to the column under my dash/wheel area, it still has the play. The steering wheel can be locked, and if I put a medium amount of force on it, the same amount of play is there.

The play is there regardless if car is off the ground or not, key is in the ignition or not, and even if it's locked (don't get me wrong, you can't move the wheel unless you use force, but the same amount is there from one side to the next).

The only thing I can think of is something is off in the steering column (knuckle, bearing, bushing?) that is causing it to have that play. The play, when connected to the shaft and to the rack, transfers all the way down. As I said, when I disconnect it, the play is solely in the steering column. I took my old one apart, but I couldn't find anything wrong with it. The new one has *the same amount* of play as the old one. I know it can't be suspension because I personally changed everything, and I would think it can't be the column...

I don't know everyone. This is making me really depressed. I've spent countless hours and a little over 5 months trying to fix this. I have talked to some shops about it, but they give me "Oh it's normal; within specs." I know it's not. No one can convince me 2"-3" of random dead zone play is normal.

Please... please help me. View attachment 108049

P.S. This is not my video, but this video is similar to the issue I'm having. There was another one that was more accurate, but no luck either. I messaged each person, but neither replied.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXf5BZcZzvs

P.S.S. Here is the other video I couldn't find:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sucv8ODJB10
But mine has about double that play.

P.S.S.S. Here is a diagram of the column, since I still think that's what's wrong. exploded view for the 2002 Ford Mustang tilt | Steering Column Services

Would a broken clock spring do that?

I thought that at first, since I took my old column apart and could move the clock spring a tad back and forth, but I realized that's when it's in the locked position and once the key is in it's free wheel, also like you said it's electronical. Thanks for the reply, though!

It sounds like lots of parts have been thrown at this, but not a real diagnosis. First thing to do is isolate the problem. Have a helper watch the steering shaft as you turn the wheel back and forth where you feel the play. If the steering shaft is moving in conjunction with the wheel then it is going to be in the rack/suspension. If it isn't then it will be a shaft or column issue.

Merry Christmas and thanks for the reply, 91TwighlightGT. Well, I've done several tests (wiggle test, getting under and having someone move wheel, etc. And the only thing I can say is, when the shaft is disconnected from the wheel, the wheel has the play. Which would be indicitive of the steering column. The reason I'm confused is: One, I've already changed this part, and the same play was present. Two, I contacted a steering column rebuild shop and they told me that nothing in a steering column will go bad to cause steering wheel play. These are the reasons why I'm thinking it's not, but deep down I have a feeling it is. I'm going to try to go to a junk yard and find some columns and look at them. That's why it's hard for me to isolate the problem since the fix didn't fix it.

Anyone else have any suggestions please?

I would agree with the steering column being the culprit in that situation. Depending on the cost, there are people who specialize in steering columns. It may be worth it to call one of these companies and ask them if it is a repairable problem. May be cheaper and easier than tracking down a good used column.

Thanks again for your reply 91TwighlightGT. I found a steering column at the junk yard that felt good. I'm going to put it in within the next couple of hours. I have to recycle my old clockspring and wheel and bag, but that's fine.

Part of me was thinking... perhaps the clockspring isn't getting the lock pressed down all the way... i.e. the wheel isn't secure on the column shaft. But, I remember tightening it down a lot unless I missed a step or something. I'll try doing that first, tightening the star bolt before I remove it. If this doesn't fix it, I'll be surely confused. I went and wiggled wheels until I found a tight one, so I know this one will work.

I just wanted to write my conclusion. The play is finally gone. The following culmination of things deleted all the slop:

New steering column with female black wallowed out joint;
Needle bearing in firewall;
New steering shaft;

And... drumroll... tightening the aftermarket hex pinch bolt. I tightened it as much as I could two days ago with an allen wrench (since that's all I had to fit the aftermarket bolt). When I got the alignment today, they checked it out per my request. After looking, they said the pinch bolt was loose, that it was kind of tight but could be much tighter. They tightened it up... and all the play is gone!!

It's so wonderful! Thank you again everyone, I really mean it, thank you everyone for the suggestions! I'm very glad to finally have this done. Now, time to move on to some mods. :)

Thank you, community, again!

Reactions: 1 user
I just wanted to write my conclusion. The play is finally gone. The following culmination of things deleted all the slop:

New steering column with female black wallowed out joint;
Needle bearing in firewall;
New steering shaft;

And... drumroll... tightening the aftermarket hex pinch bolt. I tightened it as much as I could two days ago with an allen wrench (since that's all I had to fit the aftermarket bolt). When I got the alignment today, they checked it out per my request. After looking, they said the pinch bolt was loose, that it was kind of tight but could be much tighter. They tightened it up... and all the play is gone!!

It's so wonderful! Thank you again everyone, I really mean it, thank you everyone for the suggestions! I'm very glad to finally have this done. Now, time to move on to some mods. :)

Thank you, community, again!

All this time and all it was was a set screw that got caught on a high spot. lol You don't know whether to laugh or cry. :lol: