I need ANY and ALL info on the 1969 390 4v

Whats up Guys.

I'm doing some research on my dad's 1969 390ci Mach 1. I know all the basic production numbers for 1969 but come to a rut when trying to find out how many fastbacks or Mach 1s came with the 390ci (and perhaps, 4 speed manual transmission). It also has the Shaker Hood option, and it's intake manifold seems to be off of a 1967 390ci (the casting number says it was made in 1966).

I am aware that only 10,494 Mustangs were equipped with the 390ci in 1969, making it rarer than the 428ci Cobra Jet engine.

I know Marti Auto Works provides VIN & Serial Number research packages (an option we may use in the future), but I'm trying to see what information is out there already. I did my fair share of digging, but came up with barely anything relavent. ANY help would be appreciated. Thank you.

• Sponsors (?)

It of course has the "S" in the serial Number, Big-Block shock towers, etc. yes? I'm fairly sure that the shaker was a 428 only RPO, but many have added it later, due to the "cool" factor!

Hey Guys, thanks for the input.

Dark Knight, I did not come across the 1969 GT registry in my searches lastnight, I will check it out and its link page, hopefully something will turn up! Thanks.

chepsk8, yes it is an authentic 390ci Mach 1, I checked the VIN and Serial Number personally before we bought it. Believe it or not the Shaker Hood was in fact a factory option on the 390ci, even the 351ci as well. I know how it could easily be confused however, for I don't think I have ever seen a 351ci with a Shaker sitting on top, and 390ci stangs are just rare in general... you'll be lucky to see any. The following was quoted from http://www.theautochannel.com/vehicles/muscle/mustang/f69mcont.frame

The 428 c.i. Cobra Jet V-8 was the top engine option. Two versions were available, both rated at 335 hp- the 428CJ-R had Ram Air while the other, the 428CJ, didn't. The Ram Air version could easily be identified by the "Shaker" hood scoop, which was attached to the engine and protruded through the hood. It shook, as the engine idled. The Shaker scoop, was also optionally available on both 351 and the 390 V-8s.

I'm afraid I can't be much help either other than noting that I have a 1969 Mach 1 with the 390 4spd combo as well. I'll have to check some of the casting #'s on the intake and the single good head I have left from the original engine. (I've owned the car for 15 + years - and it was ROUGH when I got it) I do recall finding it unusual that CJ's all seem to have air pump setups while the 390 in my car did not.

Specs on the car: 1969 mach 1, 390, 4spd, PDB, PS, am/fm stereo - made in early March 1969 at the Temunchen NJ plant.

I can give the vin, data plate, and buck tag info if you want.

Good luck in your quest - and please share any unusual info. :D

I can only add that I too have a factory 69 “S” code Mach 1. Mine is a low option car. PS but no PB, drums all the way around auto transmission. It did come with the am/fm radio which I’ve been told was a very expensive option in 69.

You may want to look for build sheets under the carpet. I have three build sheets that were found in my car. The original owner had found one of them. The other two I found when I took the front carpet up to fix a floor plug problem.

Good to know I'm not the only one out there!

The following figures are general production statistics that I came across and is what I have so far surmised regarding 390ci-4V in 1969.

1969 Total Mustang Production: 299,824
Of those, 134,438 were SportsRoofs
Of those SportsRoofs, 72,458 were Mach 1’s
1969 Mustangs outfitted w/ the 390ci-4V: 10,494 (Making it rarer than the 428ci “Cobra Jet”)

To top it all off, the 390ci-4V was primarily a GT option, letting us only imagine how many Mach 1’s left the factory with the engine many called “The Boat Anchor.” Even further, that statistic again leaves out so many variable factory options that could make each one of our Mach’s a true one-of-a-kind. This makes me really want to contact Marti Auto Works, but their only service that would be useful for our purposes is the $200 Elite Package.

Vehicle Specs
Original Mileage: 96,260
Engine’s Mileage: 14,000

63C C5 3A 11L 16 6 5
Body Style: 63C = SportsRoof - Mach 1 Trim (Hi-Back Buckets)
Color: C5 = Black Jade (Flat Black Hood Paint)
Trim: 3A = Charcoal Black Vinyl w/ "Clarion" Knit Vinyl Inserts
Scheduled Assembly: 11L = November 11th, 1968
Sales Office (DSO): 16 = Philadelphia, PA ("DI")
Axle: 6 = 3.00:1 "Conventional"
Trans: 5 = 4 Speed Manual (2.78 1st Gear)

9T02S 132893
Last Digit of Model Year: 9 = 1969
Assembly Plant: T = Metuchen (Edison, New Jersey)
Body Serial Number: 02 = SportsRoof
Engine Code: S = 390ci-4V (320hp @ 4800rpm / 427lbs torque @ 3200rpm)
Consecutive Unit Number: 132893 = 132,893rd Production-Scheduled Vehicle

The first owner changed the color to Candy Apple Red, and the second (owner for the previous 20 years) changed it Acapulco Blue, another 1969 Mustang color. The paint job is 15 years old and is in pristine condition. We have only owned this car since November and don’t have any plans on changing the paint anytime soon… or ever. We also know the gears in the differential were changed to “posi” (since ordering a 390ci-4V did NOT automatically get you this option, as opposed to 428ci CJ’s).

When the previous owner had the engine rebuilt, he had it rebuilt it to 1969 specifications, minus the camshaft, which was replaced with a more aggressive one. Long-tube Hooker SuperCompetition headers were also bolted up to the engine as well, for they were the only headers that bolt up to the 390’s heads, which were the same used on 428’s.

Air Conditioner, Power Front Disc Brakes, Power Steering, Hood Pins and Shaker Hood were also options I know that came with the car. Besides that, I’m not sure if the Front and Rear Deck Spoilers or the Rear Window Louvers are original or not. The inner fender VIN plate seems to be stamped with abbreviations as to what options came with the car. Forgive me if this is common knowledge but I thought the build sheet was the only way to find out the options that came with the car. Some of the abbreviations on the little plate are as follows. AC (Air Conditioner), PB (Power Brakes), GT (GT?), PS (Power Steering), DE, TT, CL, RM, MO, MC. What do they all mean?

There are also some other codes on the plate that seem foreign to me, aside from the VIN and bits and pieces of the Serial Number.

I will also quick check under the carpets to see if there is in fact the treasure hiding under there. I know the seats were re-upholstered but the carpet is definitely original, and so are the floors… so… possibly.

Feel free to share background info on your 390 Mach’s as well!

Talk to you guys soon, and thanks for the input!

96 DOHC Cobra, I decoded the intake manifold's casting number C6AE9425-H, and found out it was designed for a 1966 Ford Fairlane.

That same site, http://www.gearheadracing.com/Reference/Ford/CastingNumbers/FordCastingNumbers.htm , says that Ford was famous for interchanging parts on the assembly line, assuring that just because a particular part was not "designed" for your Mustang, does not mean it was not originally installed on it.

However, perhaps you are on to something. By all means, read up on that site and get back to me if you like, I need all the help I can get!

I guess anything's possible with Ford. Have you deciphered the casting date on the manifold or other parts? Even if the part number is years earlier (which is unlikely), the casting dates should within a couple of months of the car's build date.

MachOneMustang said:
96 DOHC Cobra, I decoded the intake manifold's casting number C6AE9425-H, and found out it was designed for a 1966 Ford Fairlane.

That same site, http://www.gearheadracing.com/Reference/Ford/CastingNumbers/FordCastingNumbers.htm , says that Ford was famous for interchanging parts on the assembly line, assuring that just because a particular part was not "designed" for your Mustang, does not mean it was not originally installed on it.

However, perhaps you are on to something. By all means, read up on that site and get back to me if you like, I need all the help I can get!