i need help with my winter car, fast!

Mar 31, 2005
In order to save the 94 5.0 from the snow... i also drive around a 1992 topaz with the 2.4L 4 cyl. i also posted in the 4 cyl talk, but i know and trust u guys a lot and i know this getss more traffic than the 4 cyl area.
After the car sat around through most of the summer and fall being started periodically, we went to start it up again to find out that there was a sizeable chipmunk nest in the airbox, and the car wouldnt start. we cleaned out the air intake elbow and now that it starts, we cant seem to solve a high idle problem... it will hang around 2000 rpms! when giving it some throttle, it will hang even higher, then after a few seconds it will usually fall back to around 2k or a little higher, any thoughts? we checked for vac leaks real quick and couldnt find anything obvious and we also took carb cleaner and cleaned out the IAC which looked pretty clean already. thanks for the help, kyle
p.s. i would love to have this car back on the road by early this upcoming week...

• Sponsors (?)

I realize you cleaned the IAC after the idle issue but you might have a broken IAC. That would be my first thing to look into.
Try removing and reinstalling it and the connector that plugs into it.
Maybe rinse it out with water and dry it out with air compressor if you have one.
Check the connector for bent pins and/or contamination.
Check to see if the throttle blade fully closes.

I agree with Dutch. :D
Disconnect the e-connector to the IAC and see if the idle magicially drops. If so, you found the issue.

Given the nesting, you might have a large vac leak. Check the hoses.

Good luck.

yes i checked with carb cleaner... and i will try disconnecting the IAC to hope the idle drops magically... and i will check again for vac leaks tomorrow... getting back to the vacuum possibility... i was thinking something got sucked in and is causing this issue... however, the vacuum sucks toward the intake, right? so its not like something would likely have been sucked into one of the hoses from the intake elbow, right? i know anything can happen, but in order for something to be in the vac system the crap would have basically have to have been going in reverse... UNLESS something got sucked in the elbow right before the butterfly valve in the throttle body. there is a drop down elbow leading to a vac line right before the butterfly valve. what does this do and where soes it lead? im thinking this might be a likely cause of the problem but i dont wanna disconnect the throttle body until ive checked other things since its not as easy to change as the mustang's. Thoughts?? thanks, kyle