Engine Iac Problem With 2500rpm Idle

Brandt Munson

Apr 5, 2016
So i have a 2002 5 speed 2v and i just replaced the iac because my car wants to keep dieing in traffic. Went to my buddys shop and hes worked on plenty of mustangs and he picked me up aftermarket iac from smp. It idles alot better but now when im driving it stays at 2000 to 2500 rpm. I have no idea why. Any advice would be great.

• Sponsors (?)

I tried to replace mine with an BWD brand and it idled the same way. I took it back off, returned it, and replaced it with a motorcraft. Idle returned back to normal. I also saw a lot of complaints with that brand as well. Good Luck!

Sounds like you have the two hoses that connect to your cai backwards that happed to me when i replaced the intake was at 2500 rpm switched them and went back to normal idle

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply. I did compare my connections to other pictures online. It appeared as though I had the vacuum hose from the lower throttle body to the inlet of intake instead of the PCV valve like I saw in some pictures, so I swapped it. I don't know if it really made a difference as I had to change the IAC again because the car did not shut down as it was suppose to when I disconnected it.
Another problem was that I has oil blowing out of the passenger side valve cover, I thought it was the PCV, but it seemed to be coming from the grommet or the valve cover gasket. After all that, it appears to be idling just fine for now. However, it seems as though there is a lot of vacuum. one of the elbows get concaved when the car is on. I am not sure if it has to do with replacing a leaky intake manifold. which got rid my random error codes nd antifreeze leaks.

Does anybody have any idea what tool I can use to remove the bottom bolt,(nearest the strut tower), on the passenger side? I want to replace the gasket eventually, not just the grommets on top. But I could not get the damn bolt off.

Double check that the oil baffle under the PCV value is in place.

Have you replaced the PCV value? What about the PCV lines? Oil will rot these lines out from the inside. IF the vacuum lines collapse from the vacuum, then this means there isn't enough vacuum being placed on the motor to draw the oil vapors out. EXPECT problems if operated for an extend period of time with excessive crankcase vapors present.

There are two kinds of IAC valves. Black vented and non-vented. Have you used the correct IAC for the application?