If you've had your fuel tank replaced, please read...

My early built '05 has the "difficult to fill with fuel" problem, so I printed out the TBS 05-4-8 and took it to the dealer, and they installed a new tank (the dealer wasn't aware of the problem, but had a tank in stock).

I did the first fill up after the install, and it still has the same problem.

The TSB specifically says "Do not use with 9002A" so I'm looking for a part number for a replacement fuel tank that works. The dealer says their part 6R3Z*9002*A they installed replaces the 5RZ-9002-AA the TSB suggests to use.

Anyone have the tank replaced with good luck and a part number?

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

BLK05GT said:
My early built '05 has the "difficult to fill with fuel" problem, so I printed out the TBS 05-4-8 and took it to the dealer, and they installed a new tank (the dealer wasn't aware of the problem, but had a tank in stock).

I did the first fill up after the install, and it still has the same problem.

The TSB specifically says "Do not use with 9002A" so I'm looking for a part number for a replacement fuel tank that works. The dealer says their part 6R3Z*9002*A they installed replaces the 5RZ-9002-AA the TSB suggests to use.

Anyone have the tank replaced with good luck and a part number?

Thanks!
What grade of fuel are you using ?

Ever look in your rear wheel well? Look at how small that tube is that extends from the filler to the tank. This is the problem. I can't believe it's cheaper for Ford to replace the tank, than replace that tube, enlarging it to solve the vapor displacement issue. From what I see in the TSB, it's the displacement of fumes, and the shutoff trigger at the pump handle, which causes the problem. Larger filler tube = problem would go away.

Anyhow, I have this problem as well, but will live with it. (At least until 35,999 warranty miles...then perhaps I'll get the new "free" tank...)

I just had the new tank installed and have had no issues on the first fill up. Will let you know if the problem shows up again. For what it's worth mine was really bad. Like a 10 minute job to get the tank full.

Jason

Mine has issues with different stations. Mine is a 11/05 car and its depends on what where I get gas that the problem exists. But I will take it in before the warrenty is up and have it changed

If y'all are having problems filling with midgrade but notwith either regular or premium, there's the problem. If it's at a station where the midgrade is blended at the pump, you have two fuel pumps feeding the nozzle instead of one. Only solution there is to either blend it manually, ( fill with reg. then premium which in many cases you'll get a higher octane for the same price) buy your gas at an older station that has a separate midgrade tank,(blended at the rack when the fuel is loaded into the truck) install a larger diameter filler tube, or simply quit using midgrade.

Well, first off you car is meant to run on 87 unless you have had it tuned otherwise... and you are just wasting money.

Second, I had mine replace, but no part number on the work order... sorry

Third... its the tanks venting design thats the problem... even if you enlarge the tube... you will still get the back pressure, it will just take a few seonds longer.

Believe me, if it as cheaper and effective to fix the problem that way... they would.

I just had my tank replaced yesterday and the work order said 9002 A, but when I filled up right afterwards, everthing was perfectly fine. It was the first time I didn't have any problems filling it up.

On a separate not, I read in one of the magazines out there that our mustangs have a knock sensor and actually reduces the horse power by 5 if you put 87 octane in it.

I use premium fuel because of the supercharger and special tune. I have never used the middle grade of fuel, always either regular or premium. I have tried several different stations, with the same problem, but it does not happen every time. We can't put our own fuel in here so it could be the way people have the handle in or the pump speed.

The other problem mine has is the gauge does not show I've added fuel until I start and stop the engine several times. The Ford guy told me the factory recommends Chevron Techron Concentrate be added to the tank, I tried this yesterday at the fill up, it filled fine this time.

Thanks again for all the comments guys!

Had mine replaced and still have issues at some stations. I've found that pumps at Chevron stations work fine for some reason. I'm not going to go through it a second time; I'll just make do. Don't know the part# of the replacement, but they swore it was the one specified in the TSB.

This isn't really relevent, but it does make sense that this problem differs depending upon the gas station. I have a fill problem, similar to the Mustang problem, with my boat. At some stations it is practically impossible to get gas into at anything other than a dribble. But every once in a while I find a gas station and have no problems. With a 26 gal. tank you don't want to take forever to fill. Is this still a problem with the '06 models?

I have had this problem, but only at certain stations. It seems shell stations and Chevron stations are ok... I plan to get this TSB, the front suspension TSB and the radio CD skipping TSB done all at once, I just need to find a decent Ford dealership and figure out a convenient time...