I'm still alive - for now...

corpse

Founding Member
Jan 23, 2001
chicago area
Hey all! corpse checkin in over here..

I am still alive - I have not fallen off any rocks - yet.. Although there's that chance, as in 10 more days I'm heading back to Joshua Tree for a couple weeks of climbing.

It's been a pretty uneventful winter with the stang - but lately I got into the next big project.. The quickchange rearend is finally going in! w000t w000t

Although I sadly must say, the purists are going to hate me - I have to modify the trunk area a bit - the sheet metal in front of the gas tank has to be "boxed" some, and the gas tank has to be notched for the rearend to clear. Plus extra room has to be made for the watts linkage setup (I think I'm going to use that).. And the borla mufflers are coming out to make extra room for the lift bar that will be put in as well.

I got the rearend "mached" up in there to check for clearance and all that. Maybe in a few more days I can manage to get some pics. Hopefully, the project will be done by May - I figure if I'm pessimistic about it, it will get done even faster :)

• Sponsors (?)

I haven't done a lick of it during the winter.. No REAL heated garage - so I can't let the stuff cure.. I attempted a project early in the winter (late fall?) where I was going to reproduce my rear valence (with some mods to it), but I was dumb about it and tried doing it in stages - stages because the hardener I used caused the resin to cure too quick, and I could even get 1 layer of glass over the existing valence, and it turned out like crap - so I scrapped that project - need to get some long pot life resin (hehe, I like how that sounds).. But I sure did learn alot about making molds the first try. When I get new materials it should be way easier, and hopefully successful.

I still have an ongoing project that hopefully I can finish up pretty soon, the radiator cover piece.. I even bought a new handheld belt sander to help get the sanding done quicker - a belt sander with a bag, so that should mean less itchy fibers going into my sleeve :)

hehe - u guys are funny..

pak - yer a little behind on the times man.. Did you take a hiatus from the site too? :p My 2 current glass project on the stang is the radiator cover thingie and the rear valence.. the radiator cover thingie is in it's rough sanding phase, and the rear valence I failed terribly in and need some new supplies to try it again (the proper supplies this time - making a mold of a rear valence proved to be a tad bit tougher than I anticipated).

pabear - just be careful not to get me into the closet.. I'm sure the stank would clear it out.. If there's any necrophiliacs in there though, lemme know :-D

bnickel said:
hey corpse, one of the last mods i remember you working on was the side scoops, how'd those turn out?

ah yes, the scoops.. I played a little with the idea of makin em - well, I started to make a mold... But that was more playing than a serious project - half of what I do is just to learn more about 'glassing. And I'm not afraid to use my car as the starting point for doing molds.. I even made a mold of the arrow shape on my hood (for project to be seen later) - I did that right off the hood.. I put electrical tape on the hood, carefully, and molded right off that - the electrical tape goo washes easily off paint :) the only downside of that approach, is the linse between the tape show up on the mold, which means just more sanding (albeit a little)..

ah yes, the scoops.. I played a little with the idea of makin em - well, I started to make a mold... But that was more playing than a serious project - half of what I do is just to learn more about 'glassing. And I'm not afraid to use my car as the starting point for doing molds.. I even made a mold of the arrow shape on my hood (for project to be seen later) - I did that right off the hood.. I put electrical tape on the hood, carefully, and molded right off that - the electrical tape goo washes easily off paint the only downside of that approach, is the linse between the tape show up on the mold, which means just more sanding (albeit a little)..

so does that mean you aren't going to do them after all? i thought it was a pretty cool project

bnickel said:
so does that mean you aren't going to do them after all? i thought it was a pretty cool project

It just means I'm going to wait until I have time for a casual project. And once the rearend is in, it will be nice weather time, and any projects that require downtime, such as body mods (painting n such) will just have to wait. I'd rather drive around a fast mustang with a little primer in some area, than look at a car getting painted that can't be driven :)