Install Battery Cable Assembly - $100 Labor?

Bob0101

Nov 21, 2004
Greetings All,

It looks like my 99' V6 Convertible needs to have some battery cables replaced (see my walk through on bottom of post - let me know if I made a grievous mistake somewhere ;-) )

Anyway reading up the process of changing the wire, going through conduit, and it looks like I will need to jack up the car - I was thinking of having a traveling mechanic run new wires (Mustang will not operate at all - not even lights). - I found a guy off craigslist that said he would do it for $100, I would provide the parts. This seems like a reasonable price?

Reading more about battery cables - it seems most of them out there have something that is wrong with them - wrong length, crappy wire, wire that is the wrong thickness, bad insulation, etc....This led me to order the proper Ford OEM part (complete assembly in conduit - part # YR3Z14300EA) to avoid future headaches. Now thinking that since the whole assembly is being swapped out - would that make it easier? Easy enough for someone without a jack and minimal experience to do? Thus far the most complicated thing I've had to do on the mustang was change the alternator :p

My troubleshooting steps:
The battery and alternator are good (checked it and it was at 12.5 volts - Alternator is brand new from AC Delco) - With the battery fully charged the car barely has enough power to beep at me to tell me the door is open, nevermind, trying to start. When hooked up to another running car (trying to jump it before I realized the battery was at 12.5 v) - The car could make 1/4- 1/2 of a engine turn then kick off -- this sounds like it may be a battery cable issue?

Thanks in advance!,

Bob

• Sponsors (?)