interchange ford steel rims

ja1919

Jul 26, 2004
I have a 1992 GT 4 lug with 16inch ponys. What other ford vechicles could i take a steel rim from and it will fit my mustangs bolt pattern? Taurus, Tempo, Thunderbird???

• Sponsors (?)

bubba-dough said:
Thunderbird & Cougar. The Taurus, Tempo and other FWD cars with have a different backspacing.

4 lug Fox Mustangs are 4x4.25" bolt pattern. Ford Tempo, Mercury Topaz, 4 lug T-birds ('79-'88), Capri's till '86, Pintos, Mustang II's, LTD II's (early-mid 80's) and Merkur XR4Ti's are the ones I can think of off the top of my head that also have the 4x4.25" bolt pattern. All except the Tempo/Topaz are RWD. The back space on a Tempo/Topaz wheel is close to right for a Mustang, but will put the wheel and tire in a little further than any other car's wheel from the list would.

Taurus was always 5 lug - 5x4.25" bolt pattern. As was the 89-up T-Bird and Cougar, Mark VIII, FWD Continential, Merc Sable, Windstar Van and Lincoln LS.

ja1919 said:
so is the temp/topaz or the cougar/t-bird closer to the correct mustang backspacing and rim...Which would you get if you cant get a mustang rim??

Probably the T-Bird/Cougar wheel. The Fox based Bird/Cat are nearly the saem as a Mustang with a longer wheelbase.

Did you get my PM?

slow5poh said:
u need steel wheels for winter tires??:shrug:

Im from califonia so i don't know these things......:D

You don't NEED steel wheels, they are just usually more common and easier to find, and also cheaper. I think he's looking for a pair of wheels for a burnout contest.