Intro & Fan Help

DIHLON

Oct 27, 2016
Picked up a 67 coupe with modified 351W this past weekend. This is my first time back in a Stang in about 18 years. I had a couple of early 90's 5.0's in high school. The car has an electric fan and oversized radiator, but still runs hot. The fan is set up as a pusher, not a puller. Also, the fan is turning in the direction below. I think I need to install it as a puller and reverse the rotation, but wanted to get some of your opinions. Thanks.
FAN.jpg
stang1.JPG

• Sponsors (?)

If I understand right, your fan is mounted on the front side of your radiator? If that is true then the direction is right. You want the airflow going towards the engine no matter what side the the fan is on. However, I personally believe that you get better cooling with the fan on the engine side sucking air thru the radiator especially when moving. It also helps to have a shroud if you have room for one. You might check your thermostat (maybe sticking or in backwards) and your timing and fuel mixture. These will all affect temp.

The picture shown is not the actual fan. I pulled the actual fan out this weekend and a search for the model # shows it is out of a 3.0L Ford Taurus. I installed the radiator properly and attempted to install the fan as a puller instead of a pusher, but it will not fit due to the water pump pulley. I ordered a new electric fan/aluminum shroud assembly that should fit with about 1/4" gap between fan and pulley. I am fairly confident this should fix the problem. With the old fan and shroud mounted on the outside of the radiator, I just don't see how enough any air was moving through the radiator at highway speeds.

Like tos said, you want the fan to push warm air towards engine direction. Is it running warm at idle and slow speeds? Or just at higher speeds. Two basic tests, on warm vehicle and feel with your hand along radiator, engine off obviously. Make sure you have no cold spots. Second I'd pull thermostat make sure copper pellet can is facing motor. Sounds stupid but some don't know. Put it in a pot of boiling water with a temp gauge, make sure the wife's not home. See if it opens at 180 or whatever temp it is. If you have aluminum heads and intake, make sure you have appropriate ground straps to motor. My friend didn't on his small block Chevy, when he pulled his intake because of a leak, the passages for coolant were blocked from electrolysis. Aluminum reacting to cast iron. Keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got the radiator installed correctly and got the new 2,500 cfm puller fan installed. It helped, but it would still eventually end up running hot. Pulled the thermostat housing only to find the thermostat was installed backwards! Put it on the stove and it opened around 175 degrees. Installed it correctly and took it for a test drive. Seems to be fine now. Now to find what's causing a miss at cruising speeds that recently developed. Pulled the #1 plug and it is pretty black. New set of plugs will be installed tomorrow.

#1 plug was the only one that looked bad. Changed the fuel filter while I was at it. Running fine again. Now to find the power steering fluid leak, install O2 sensor bung on exhaust, and install a tach.