is a resonator chamber needed on an 02 honda accord?

buff531

Founding Member
May 11, 2000
Hanover Park, IL
Hey guys,
My sister hit something and bashed up her front bumper. The Resonator chamber was hanging so i just removed it. Is this actually needed for anything on the car? i just saw that it connected to the air filter? What does this thing do? does it just silence the air thats being sucked into the engine through the filter? If thats the case i would say its not necessarily required.... would it effect emmisson's? and should i block off the hole that it connects to the air filter box? or at least put something there so if she hits a really big puddel it deflects some of the water???

please help my fellow stangnet members :)

Thank you
:SNSign::SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

Those pieces are merely silencers and deflectors IF there is no apparent wireloom or other sensor in place. Water getting into the air intake aside, you should be just fine with it removed. You might also see more underhood dust & dirt, making the engine bay a nastier place to work as time presses on.

One of the first things I did with my old '04 GT was remove the air silencer just ahead of the air filter. Given this is an Accord, I'd say quietness and comfortable refinement are paramount--she might have a littler more noise in the ride now...that's about the only negative I can see from this, unless again, there was some wiring or a sensor involved.

Reactions: 1 user
Those pieces are merely silencers and deflectors IF there is no apparent wireloom or other sensor in place. Water getting into the air intake aside, you should be just fine with it removed. You might also see more underhood dust & dirt, making the engine bay a nastier place to work as time presses on.

One of the first things I did with my old '04 GT was remove the air silencer just ahead of the air filter. Given this is an Accord, I'd say quietness and comfortable refinement are paramount--she might have a littler more noise in the ride now...that's about the only negative I can see from this, unless again, there was some wiring or a sensor involved.

2015 now but maybe you can advise? I have a 204 Accord Coupe v6 with no resonator (fender bender), and have put 145,000 miles on it without resonator (did not know it needed one).

I drive this as a "Flag Car" behind oversize semi-loads and pick up tons of road water spray, in rainy weather.

I have a K&N OEM style filter since bought car.

Question is: how do I solve the water intake issue without installing an expensive resonator assembly?

I notice that long and short rams don't seem to care about water.

Ideas?