Is an extended warranty worth it

• Sponsors (?)

Ummmm if she's not trying to modify it in anyway then I dnt see a problem with it. I got an extended warranty when I had my 2004 gt and regretted it cuz I wanted to mod my car heavily but I had payed for the warranty so I was like screw it I'm not about to void something I paid 1000+ dollars for ya know. Warranty wasn't up until like 72000 miles. Hell by then I was ordering my 2012 gt lol

they are worth it but if you want to do some mods I would shop for a company other than Ford. In my experience with two Cobras, Dealer seem to ignore mods when other companies are paying!!!

Ford may not accept a third-party warranty. Make certain that your mechanic (Ford or otherwise) will accept the warranty you buy.
It is worth it if you need it. And who knows if you will need it???
If you plan to keep the car for an extended period of time, buy the warranty. Just be certain, as I already said, that the person you want to work on the car will honor it. Also, read the fine print.

Ford may not accept a third-party warranty. Make certain that your mechanic (Ford or otherwise) will accept the warranty you buy....

Yes that is true.Plenty of aftermarket warranties are fine as far as coverage, but in most cases you will have to pay for the repair yourself , and then wait to get reimbursed from the warranty company, or lay the car up until you get the money, as opposed to Ford Esp which will pay the dealer directly and is accepted at any ford dealer in North America. Also with aftermarket warranties the repair process is often longer because they usually require the repair shop to remove and disassemble the failed component (at your expense) so they can send an adjuster to verify the failure. On the plus side aftermarket warranties are normally less expensive, and will allow you to get your car fixed wherever you want as opposed to ford esp which requires you to bring the car to a Ford dealer.
I used to never buy extended warranties, but repair cost used to be reasonable, now they are extremely high so starting with my 97 Cobra I get them on all my cars. I always go with the factory warranties,but you have to decide whats best for you. If you do go with the Ford warranty spend the extra money and get Premium Care.

Hi 2011_Ram_RT,

As others have posted, the Ford Extended Service Plan is the only extended service plan backed by Ford Motor Company. It has some great features! Some of those are 24 hour roadside assistance, rental coverage, and like Svtpilot said, it is honored at all Ford and Lincoln dealers in the U.S. and Canada. Unexpected repairs can be painful, and this helps protect your 'stang from them. :nice:

Ford Motor Company's Extended Service Plan (ESP) warranty can be purchased by contacting the ESP Sales Center at 1-800-367-3377 or online at the Ford Owner website.

~Natasha

My g/f is looking at getting an extended warranty for her '10 GT.....is it worth the extra $1000 for it?

One thing the dealer will neglect to tell you, (at least mine did), is that with an extended warranty you have to pay the dealer a diagnostic fee of about $100 to check out any issues you have. Then if it is found to be covered under warranty they'll fix it for free. If not, then you're stuck paying for it.

I found this out the hard way when my batter died. The car was only a couple of years old and Ford considers a battery as "wear and tear" and won't cover it even if it's defective. I ended up paying for a new battery only to have it die also about a year later. Turns out it was a bad alternator all along. If only the dealer had bothered to check the alternator from jump instead of just telling me my battery was bad I wouldn't have wasted all that money.

Hi darien87,

Different plans have varying deductibles. It is unfortunate you had a negative experience with your dealer on your Extended Service Plan. If you would like to discuss it in further detail, please send me a PM.

BTW, is your 2007 'stang really named Natasha?? :D SO COOL!

~Natasha

Darien with any extended warranty wether it is Ford ESP, or after market, there will always be a diagnostic charge that the customer will be responsible to pay if it turns out the the failure is not a covered repair. If it is covered then I can tell you for a fact that with Ford ESP the diagnoses will be covered by the warranty, with an aftermarket warranty most pay for diagnosis on a covered repair but some don't. Also all extended warranties have a deductible that the customer is responsible, though Ford does offer 0 deductible policies but they are more expensive.
As far as your battery it is highly unlikely that the new battery would last a year if the alternator was the problem all along.

My g/f is looking at getting an extended warranty for her '10 GT.....is it worth the extra $1000 for it?

Statistically, no. If you maintain the car properly, and don't abuse it, an extended warranty will be a waste of money much more often than not. Even if something did go wrong in the warranty period, it would probably not be $1000 more than any deductibles. I've never bought one on any of my cars, and never will.

Reactions: 1 user
Its a crap shoot at best. I paid for one on my Camaro and the car was in 6 times in the first year and the warranty paid for itself. I have one on the Mustang as well but have yet to need it. I have to admit except for the HUGE hood corrosion problem this car has been top notch. However, Ford needs to understand that it does not matter how good the car is underneath the body, if said body starts rusting away before the car is 4 years old. If Ford does the right thing and completely fixes my hood then they have a new converted from GM customer. If they refuse to take care of my hood issue then I will have no choice but to go back to GM products. Fixing things like a bad alternator or water pump is much preferable to way expensive body work.

I got the Ford extended plan simply because it covers the period of my car note. Even though I will do some mods there are many things that could break that have nothing to do with mods and they can't and will not deny warranty on: For example, an intake or tune will not break my stereo, AC, or turn signals. And even if you have an intake or tune and your engine or tranny blows, and Ford denies claims, it is their burden of proof in court.

I disagree. I made both of my daughters get them for their first cars (college etc.). One is a 2007 Jeep Liberty and the other a 2009 Cadillac CTS4.

Be mindful of the warranty that you purchase and see what is covered.

The Jeep had the infamous warped head problem. Covered by the warranty to the tune of nearly $5000. The warranty cost $1300.
The Caddy decides to spit out transmission parts. That one was covered for a little over $3000 and I think that one cost $1700.

I didn't take my own advise on the last used car that I purchased. That mistake cost me $4k for the transmission that I put in it. :(

So yeah... Anyone who says they're a waste of money probably didn't have to use it. Lucky bastards, I say.