Is it just me...

'66 coupe

Founding Member
Aug 7, 2000
Lakeland, Fl.
Is it just me, or do ricers start driving faster when I am passing them? Does this happen to anyone else? I'm sure it does.

I've been commuting a lot in the past couple weeks, and I'm starting to notice this. I'll just be driving doing like 80, then when I start to come up on a slower moving vehicle, I merge to the left then get back to the right lane when I'm well past them. But if this slower moving vehicle happens to be a noticeable ricer, chances are when I go to pass they'll speed up and try to pull away.
Usually I just walk away from them and get in front of them when I'm like 5 cars ahead. This has worked a couple times, and they'll stay a safe distance back. Other times they play catch up after I've slowed back down only to tailgate me. Now a car that was going 65, and I(going 80) saw fit to pass is now tailing me at 75-80mph. WTF?!! :shrug:
This is really pissing me off. I'm getting to the point where I just want to trade my car in on a black Crown Vic Sport with dark tinted windows. :cool:

So who else goes through this a lot? Is there a state that doesn't have any ricers that I can move to?

• Sponsors (?)

It's not just ricers, EVERYone does that to me.. in town, on the highway, whatever. I guess boring old guys with no hair in their toyota minivans have to try to impress their wives by blocking a bright red Mustang! If they can't block me, then they tailgate the hell out of me, trying to act all impatient like I'm going too slow. And I am not even an aggressive driver, I am not cutting people off or driving like a lunatic. I'm not provoking anyone. But it wasn't so bad when I had my white '88 5.0; from a ways away when I had the sunroof popped it was real easy to mistake it for a highway patrol car that they used to use.. this was about 10 years ago; don't see many police 5.0's anymore. Anyway, people do that a lot, and it's not just you.. think of it as automotive P**IS envy! (can I say that word on here? :shrug: )

:fuss: I'm not an agressive driver either but I always get ricers(and sometimes non ricers) who want to play a game of "The fastest and the fury" with me. The thing is, they'll never ask if they want to race or anything, they just speed off! Maybe to them they were able to beat a mustang?(even thought I'm a V6 and stock for now) I also get alot of them try to race me when I'm just driving. I'll be driving on the left lane at 40 and I notice a car in the right lane will start going 55-60. I won't race them but they slow down and I catch up to them were they speed up again. Don't they understand? :nonono:

Then again having a yellow mustang don't help either.

That doesn't happen to much. I mean when I pass someone who is going slow, the person who is behind me will usually follow but I never really have any problems with ricers. I usually pic on them lol. I was behind an integra on friday night and I was talegateing him like crazy, and I pulled up next to him and reved alittle and was jumping forward, indicateing to race and he just kept driving like I wasn't there, but after like 5 mins I was ahead of him by like 4 or 5 cars and he just blows passed me I was all "What a ghey!". So, yeah all the ricers around here hardly ever want to race.

I'd like too. Ricers out number muscle cars here 5:1. It really sucks, but alot of them are your typical ricers, park bench spoiler, grapefruit launcher muffler, and it's automatic :rlaugh: . None of them actually race me or any other muscle cars around here, atleast not from what I see.

worked v6 said:
None of them actually race me or any other muscle cars around here, atleast not from what I see.

Probably a good thing. Some guy here in the UCF area went to jail. He was racing some ricer with his Cobra. The ricer lost control of his Civic, killed himself, and the Cobra driver went to jail for knowing how to keep his car on the road. :nonono:
How you lose control of an underpowered FWD car is beyond me. My parents used to have a Sentra beater, and I would occasionally drive that thing hard, and even in the rain is was super predictible. One time my friend was with me and I pulled the e-brake and did a U-turn on a two-lane country road at like 35-40. Never did it before, but it was a flawless turn. How the hell do you kill yourself in a car like that? :shrug:

[QUOTE='66 coupe]How the hell do you kill yourself in a car like that? :shrug:[/QUOTE]

It's one of the great mysteries of our time, next to stone henge.

I don't know about the rest of you but I don't really race that much. Most of the time I'll ignore them cause it's some stupid ricer. I think the reason is because A) I don't want to crash my stang B) If a cop catches us racing, who are they going to pull over? I know the kid with the yellow mustang! C) I have no mods :( (Unless a bullit fuel door will give me 75 hps).

[QUOTE='66 coupe]Probably a good thing. Some guy here in the UCF area went to jail. He was racing some ricer with his Cobra. The ricer lost control of his Civic, killed himself, and the Cobra driver went to jail for knowing how to keep his car on the road. :nonono:
How you lose control of an underpowered FWD car is beyond me. My parents used to have a Sentra beater, and I would occasionally drive that thing hard, and even in the rain is was super predictible. One time my friend was with me and I pulled the e-brake and did a U-turn on a two-lane country road at like 35-40. Never did it before, but it was a flawless turn. How the hell do you kill yourself in a car like that? :shrug:[/QUOTE]

yeah cops give out some pretty messed up citations. my friends were coming home on the highway after a pretty bad storm, hydroplaned in their moms mitsu montero, fishtailed, overcorrected, fishtailed the otherway and flipped the suv. it rolled twice and theyre both alright but the cop, who didnt even witness the accident wrote them a ticked for(no lie) "faliure to maintain control of the vehicle". what the hell is that, isnt that the definition of an accident? if they had control they wouldnt have crashed.

also if you plan on trading in the stang for a cop car, (sorry to support chevy) go with an early 90s caprice classic with a vette engine, i saw one at the track last year go 11.21 on juice, now thats a fast popo-mobile

FunkMasterFlex said:
also if you plan on trading in the stang for a cop car, (sorry to support chevy) go with an early 90s caprice classic with a vette engine, i saw one at the track last year go 11.21 on juice, now thats a fast popo-mobile

Yea. Only problem is that they stopped making the 9c1 Caprices in '96. So they're all around 10 years old.
Funny thing! A couple days ago the same friend that was with me when I did the e-brake slide in the Sentra went with me to look at a classic Mustang for sale someone told us about. When we got to the spot it wasn't there, so I pulled off the road into a dirt lot and did half a donut to turn around. On the road waiting for the light was a retired 9C1 copcar. The driver was a kid our age, and he and his buddies were all hanging out the window cheering. Then he started revving his engine; sounded mean. Just a hilarious moment. :rlaugh:

As far as new copcars go these are gonna be mean :hail2::
020290.1-lg.jpg

Attachments

• 020290.1-lg.jpg
    020290.1-lg.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 71
NayChan said:
As for the cop cars, the coolest one I've seen was on the Naval Base, and it was an impala. :/

I did a ride along with a Deputy that used an Impala. With all the equipment and the partition it was uncomfortably small. He also said the Crown Vics are faster. :hail2: Ford

The coolest cars I see around here all belong to the FHP. They have several marked Camaros, and about a dozen unmarked Marauders. I also have a calendar that shows a Steeda GT that was donated to them with the Marauders, but I've never seen it in person.

:stupid: Yup, they sport those Z28's, murauders, Durangos, and rams. There is ram that is constantly patrolling like a 10 mile radius by my house, it's sick the light pop-up from a tanoe cover over the bed of the truck...It's crazy, frist time I ever saw it I was like "holy crap that guy has got crazy money in his truck... wait that's a... COP!?" It's weird, have to be careful when speeding nowa days.

I had to go and get my eyes checked today and on my way there I raced a late model integra type r (supposedly). I was just driving along and then I see a bright yellow car come flying up behind me and then get beside me, so i'm thinking to my self "They never learn". So he's right beside me reving, speeding up then hitting the brakes... he's doing this for about a good 30 seconds more or less, then I finally just go from 5th straight to 3rd (I was going 65mph) so needless to say the stang just SCREAMS and 2 seconds after I hit it I hear/see him trying to keep up, his car was louder than my car but I was pulling on him so hard. I shift into 4th and by the time I hit 105mph he was like 6 cars behind me. About 2 lights up, he pulls up next to me and just eyes my car, doesn't rev, talk, wave, or anything doesn't even look at me, just looks at my car nice and long and when it turned green (I couldn't help it) I took off like I was at the strip, I looked but he didn't even try anything. :shrug: so I stoped at like 60mph or so. It was definately a good kill in my book.

worked v6 said:
I had to go and get my eyes checked today and on my way there I raced a late model integra type r (supposedly). I was just driving along and then I see a bright yellow car come flying up behind me and then get beside me, so i'm thinking to my self "They never learn". So he's right beside me reving, speeding up then hitting the brakes... he's doing this for about a good 30 seconds more or less, then I finally just go from 5th straight to 3rd (I was going 65mph) so needless to say the stang just SCREAMS and 2 seconds after I hit it I hear/see him trying to keep up, his car was louder than my car but I was pulling on him so hard. I shift into 4th and by the time I hit 105mph he was like 6 cars behind me. About 2 lights up, he pulls up next to me and just eyes my car, doesn't rev, talk, wave, or anything doesn't even look at me, just looks at my car nice and long and when it turned green (I couldn't help it) I took off like I was at the strip, I looked but he didn't even try anything. :shrug: so I stoped at like 60mph or so. It was definately a good kill in my book.

Nice one :nice:
I think he was eyeing your stang so he could remember it and NOT race it again.

There is an unmarked black mustang cop car around here. It's pretty cool, except for the fact that it has pulled one of my friends over like 3 times. He just doesn't seem to use his seatbelt....crazy kid.

zincyellow03 said:
Nice one :nice:
I think he was eyeing your stang so he could remember it and NOT race it again.

:stupid: It kinda through me off a little bit. I was expecting him to say ..."I didn't have my shift light on, so I don't know when/were to shift... it's really hard to learn, 'cause i'm pushing like 300hp with my tt's" lol. :rlaugh:

FunkMasterFlex said:
yeah when i drive down 81 to college (virginia tech) theres always marked z28 cops with lights on top and everything. havent seen a stang cop that wasnt a foxbody though

Really? I've never noticed any z28's on my way down to Tech. When we went back from Thanksgiving break we saw 11 cops... and 12 splattered dear.