Is My Engine Done?

Justin23barrett

Jan 2, 2017
I was driving to work last week and hit a puddle and my car stalled and coasted I got it home before I touched it it only made a click noise. Took the sparks out and got it to turn over it got so close to starting you could hear the exhaust but from trying so much it killed the battery. I charged the battery and went to try again but only makes a click noise again. It's my daily for work.

• Sponsors (?)

Does the battery hold the charge from being charged? What does a volt meter show when hooked to the battery.....both before turning the key and while the key is turned. You could have a bad battery and just happened to show up when you hit the water.

How deep was this puddle and what do you have for an intake? If you had to remove the plugs to get the engine to turn over it sounds like the engine ingested liquid water and "hydraulic-ed"; water is not compressible and when one or more cylinders came up on compression, the engine was mechanically stopped when the piston(s) tried to compress the water.

So it's possible the engine has been hurt. Rods can bend due to hydrolocking:

220px-Bent_connecting_rod_2.JPG

Other parts can be hurt too. A lot depends on the engine speed when it happened, how much traction there was etc. All you can do is assume that the engine is mechanically okay and that your plugs are fouled and/or there's still a fair amount of water in the cylinders affecting things.

I'd try to dry the cylinders out by turning the engine over with the plugs out until no water can be seen "puffing" out (floor the throttle while cranking to prevent injecting fuel; also crank for 5-10 seconds and then give the starter motor a couple of minutes to cool before cranking again...), leave the plugs out overnight and then put fresh plugs in in the morning.

With the spark plugs removed and the trans is neutral, can you turn the engine using a socket and breaker bar on the front crank pulley bolt (turn it clockwise as seen from the front of the engine...)?

If I can get to it I have a 4.6 out of my car sitting in storage if my x wife hasnt sold it. When I built my new motor I started with a new block and built from there. It has around 74,000 on it. I'll get in touch with her and see if it is still there and cut you a hell of a deal on it.

If I can get to it I have a 4.6 out of my car sitting in storage if my x wife hasnt sold it. When I built my new motor I started with a new block and built from there. It has around 74,000 on it. I'll get in touch with her and see if it is still there and cut you a hell of a deal on it.