Is removing the pinch weld worth the work?

RacEoHolic330

I like to dress like a pretty girl
15 Year Member
Mar 4, 2003
Allentown, PA
Being that I'm almost done stripping my engine bay down to the metal, I'm planning my angle of attack for what the final product is going to look like. I have seen a handful of engine bays with the pinch weld along the firewall removed and it creates a nice, clean look. I'm just not sure if it is worth the hours it will take to cut it and re-weld everything.

I am also trying to determine if that flat pinch weld adds any structural integrity to the firewall. I do not want to weaken anything by removing it and simply welding the seams together. Maybe welding a piece contoured metal to the pinch weld on the interior side of the firewall is necessary? I'm also aware how much of a PITA it will be if I ever need to replace the cowl.

Another (and much easier) option is to trim the pinch weld back to the actual welds. I can weld a bead down the whole length and grind the edge down to a bullnose look.

Pictures for reference:
Trimmed back (nicely done Jesse):
DSCN0506.jpg

Gone:
000_0843sm.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

I love a nice clean bay but I cant see that being worth the time.

This.

If you have nothing else to do, trim it up as far as you can but I wouldn't go messing with undoing the weld. I base that opinion on nothing, though, so take it FWIW. It could very well make no difference but I wouldn't risk it anyway.

If you do, you absolutely MUST hide all the wires. If that thing is good for anything, it's good for hiding a wire loom under. It's one of those things that will snowball out of control...you remove that and then something else becomes the ugly focus, then you smooth that, next thing you know you've sheet metaled the whole engine bay.

well, any time to remove a pinch weld of that sort, you lose structural integrity. Can it be reinforced? Sure. How? No clue. But the pinch weld was assembly line friendly. Might be more other custom ways to secure the firewall and elim the pinch weld at the same time.

Is it worth the effort? Nah. With the engine in, you can barely see it anyway

I think you're focusing on the thing because there is no engine to take you eye off of it. I guess that the integrity could be rebuilt w/ an 1/8th" plate/angle welded to the backside of the firewall, but I agree w 85ss302cpe, it's a rail to hang stuff from, and a ledge to hide stuff under.

Good points.

The car is down to the shell and will be completely rewired from scratch, so all the EFI wires will poke out from under the trans tunnel. The brake lines will all be gone too.

I'm just going to trim it back and leave it there. I also remembered that I would have to weld it in small increments to keep the metal from warping. No thank you.

On another note, I pulled the k-member and one of the driver side bolts was halfway rusted through. So now I have to cut open the frame rail and probably replace the tubular supports that run through it to support the k-member. Awesome. Just when I thought I was done finding all the surprises this car had to offer...

Good points.

The car is down to the shell and will be completely rewired from scratch, so all the EFI wires will poke out from under the trans tunnel. The brake lines will all be gone too.

I'm just going to trim it back and leave it there. I also remembered that I would have to weld it in small increments to keep the metal from warping. No thank you.

On another note, I pulled the k-member and one of the driver side bolts was halfway rusted through. So now I have to cut open the frame rail and probably replace the tubular supports that run through it to support the k-member. Awesome. Just when I thought I was done finding all the surprises this car had to offer...

Makes you wonder why you do this stuff in the first place.:shrug:

Were it me... I'd remove it. That's only because it's in the way of the blower. I had to beat mine back in strategic areas to make room for a Flowzilla inlet.

In other words: If it ain't broke, don't fix. That's a problem I would tackle as a result of necessity and nothing else.

Reenforcing that area doesn't seem like it would be much trouble (I'm sure I've even seen firewall plates marketed for doing just that) but again... If there's no need, just leave it.

Luckily I have no real need to remove it completely. So, I'll just trim it back nicely. As Mike said, it's not very noticable with the engine in there. I'm glad you guys convinced me to leave it there. Saved me dozens of hours.

Ahhhh, I don't have enough time to really get on here and surf like I used to but where can I find some info on that? Wicked cool and looks so much cleaner!!!

-Edit-
I'm sure it's a build thread somewhere, just hoping someone has a link saved. If not, I'll dig around later tonight and find it!!!!