Is The 2015 Mustang Gt Too Heavy?

Matt1971

Mar 19, 2015
Greetings fellow Mustang lovers and gearheads...My name is Matt and I have joined the party. Do any of you think/believe the new 2015 Mustang GT "feels" too heavy? I test drove one yesterday and while I was impressed with the N/V/H quality, the upgraded quality of the interior and the overall build quality (from what I saw), I was disappointed in the "heaviness" of how it felt. It doesn't feel as nimble or agile as the last 'Stang (2003) I owned (I know the 2015 is much more refined in every way). Ford says the 15 weighs just short of 3800 pounds. For those of you who own a 15 GT, do you agree or disagree? And more importantly, why? Thanks for your help!

Matt

• Sponsors (?)

Personally, while the 2015 does physically weigh quite a bit more than prior years it doesn't feel heavy at all.. The car on the road course was very well balanced and agile. There wasn't a turn that I was hesitant in and at no point did the car feel like it was pushing the corners. I personally love the new platform, after driving/racing just about every mustang platform form 64 to current, the 2015 is by far the most potent machine that the Ford factory has ever built (Mustang anyway ;) ) I'm looking forward to a few more upgrades to only further enhance the performance of my '15

I have had mine airborne over a cresting section of road and it landed like it was on a pillow, just super smooth. Very confident in turns and I've already whooped up on a stock looking SS. I would say no; not too heavy. Checked all my boxes of being absolutely the best car I have ever owned/driven.

That being said, 3800 lbs definitely sounds like a porker! Especially when 100 lbs is compared to 10 hp or 1/10th of a second in the quarter.

Personally, while the 2015 does physically weigh quite a bit more than prior years it doesn't feel heavy at all.. The car on the road course was very well balanced and agile. There wasn't a turn that I was hesitant in and at no point did the car feel like it was pushing the corners. I personally love the new platform, after driving/racing just about every mustang platform form 64 to current, the 2015 is by far the most potent machine that the Ford factory has ever built (Mustang anyway ;) ) I'm looking forward to a few more upgrades to only further enhance the performance of my '15

I have to agree with 84Ttop. First two track days and amazed that my 2015 GT with PP felt very well balanced. No under or oversteer. Confidence inspiring to say the least. Those 6 piston brakes are amazing. No issue shutting down from 100 to 30 over and over.

I test drove one and it hid its weight quite well. That being said, I do think it is too heavy. Hopefully 2017 brings some weight reductions.
I would challenge you to run one of these cars on the road course, I can guarantee that you will change your mind. Test driving a car off the dealer lot is a far cry from seeing the potential of this new platform IMHO