Is there any one supplier we can all trust?

I know there have been many questions and debates on who best to use and trust for parts, good and bad experiences with many and I am wondering of there isn't one we all could agree on? I have recently put together a short list of parts I have wanted for some time (Yes, my bonus just came in :banana: ) and as I search the few catalogs I have, I am finding that say for example Virginia classic is consistently cheaper than NPD on almost every item. The ones they aren't are small items and the difference is next to nothing. Of course, better service is always worth some extra cash to me and the mystery shipping total can always level the playing field at the end of the shopping list. I know several always mention Munstangs unlimited, and so I am currently checking them out on line and comparing to my list but there server is not being friendly right now.

So, is there one we all agree to trust or do our loyalties float between a few depending on who has the better price at the time or what?

EDIT: Case in point that price isn't everything. I just learned that Virginia classic doesn't have online ordering. That is a bit stoneage and dissapointing to me and more than outways saving a few dollars in my book. :(

EDIT 2: Geez, WTF! NPD is the same way. Not only can you not order online, but you need to look at pages in Acrobat just to view the stuff via online. I know we are talking about old cars here for pete's sake but it seems to me these operations should be just a tad more modern. Now I'm starting to see why Mustangs Unlimited is often referenced as one of the favorites around here. I find their online system less than mind blowing but at least they have one. Some of these companies really need to step into the 90's. Even John's that is a small little company has online ordering. Sheesh! :fuss:

• Sponsors (?)

Mustangs Unlimited is pretty good. I live about 10 minutes from their GA location, and between me and my father, have spent over $13,000 in parts at that store.

Never had any problems with them trying to cheat us out of money or anything. Never had any problems with quality of parts. I havnt dealt with their shipping habits though, since i just pick everything up at the store. Sometimes, about 5% of the time, some of their parts that are more generic stuff, wont fit in the car, so i have to return them, but overall their service is pretty good.

I have never had a problem with sacramento mustang. a couple of bumpy orders from M+, but they were cleared up within a few days and the customer service did not leave a bad taste in my mouth.

I had a bad run in with Oklahoma mustang when I first got my car.

I have ordered from Mustangs ulimited without a hitch.

I have not tried virginia classic, but superdave endorses it. so they must be pretty good.

I like 45 minutes from johns mustang. Ive gotten to where I dont even check other prices, i just get on their site and order. They were always either the same price or just dimes more. GREAT service. When I bought my repro rad from them, they sold me all the other stuff Id need that I didnt know Id need. I just love em. They get 100% of all my business unless they dont have it like aftermarket performance parts.

I like to see the parts in person when buying if possible, therefore I shop at California Mustang (about a 10 minute drive from home) and Mustang Salvage near work. Larry's Thunderbird and Mustangs used to be near my work area, but they moved further out of the area. As for mail order speed parts, Summit has always given me outstanding service. You can usually talk to a person on the phone and confirm parts needed before ordering.

If you can, buy in person. But I try to establish a "relationship" with one customer service person and alsways ask for that person everytime....it will make a difference. Also by showing loyalty to a shop you will see a return on your investment.

virginia classic mustang is great...first time i went down there, i rattled off what i needed to the guy behind the counter and he had the part numbers MEMORIZED! just wrote them on the order form and walked to the back to get them. really friendly, i'm probably going to buy most of my parts there from now on.

i've ordered from MU, M+, CJ pony and american pony and have been pleased with all of them. of all of them i like MU the best i made a pretty big order once and one of the items was the walnut shifter handle for the automatic, when they received my order they immediately called to tell me the handle was backordered from the supplier and they didn't know when they were going to get any more in since they had problems with the supplier before and asked if i wanted to wait for it or if i wanted a refund, i told them i'd wait and about every couple weeks they would send me a postcard saying that they still hadn't received a shipment and would i like a refund or a credit and if i didn't they would keep my order on file and ship it as soon as it came in, well iy finally came in and they shipped it free and included a $10 off my next order coupon. then another time i won a piece of stainless door trim for my deluxe interior on one of thier ebay auctions when they emailed me to confirm the order they recognized that i was a previous customer and said they would be including a special "prize" with the auction, i wasn't expecting much but another coupon or something but they sent me a new in the package hood trim that was a return and was because it didn't include any attaching hardware. so MU gets my vote, when there is a big price difference on the same part i check around and have usually found that with shipping the other company would be higher because of handling, boxing and other fees

MU sounds like a great company, I'll have to check into them for my next project.

I started with M+ because years before I bought my Mustang, I was around 11, I saw an ad in a Mustang magazine with one of their race cars, and remembered that it looked really neat. Well 5 years later, I went looking for that neat looking race car and bought 95% of my stuff from them. I have been very satisfied wth their service. For example, I bought some lowering blocks from them and never put them on my car. After almost a year, I got off my butt and returned them. This was 9 months past their return policy date. Pretty impressive, IMO.

65shlbycln said:
Mustangs Unlimited is pretty good. I live about 10 minutes from their GA location, and between me and my father, have spent over $13,000 in parts at that store.

Never had any problems with them trying to cheat us out of money or anything. Never had any problems with quality of parts. I havnt dealt with their shipping habits though, since i just pick everything up at the store. Sometimes, about 5% of the time, some of their parts that are more generic stuff, wont fit in the car, so i have to return them, but overall their service is pretty good.

I've dealt with the shipping. DARN QUICK!

well year one and cal-mustang ALWAYS run more $$$ for the same parts as everyone else. as for ordering i've only ever delt with M+, Summit, and Jegs. never had a hitch with M+, talk to a guy named Ford (ironic eh?) he hooks me up with coupons that usually aren't even printed yet!

I've had good experiences with Mustangs Unltd (fast shipping!), and NPD (Good prices, fast shipping, etc) and Mustangs Plus ( high prices, but good people) and bad experiences with Summit who strung me along on a set of wheels for a month, then cancelled the order twice because they were backordered. Then when I called to complain, they took my name off their mailing list so I haven't gotten a new catalog in a couple years. Funny thing is, Jegs is much nicer, has the same stuff and I've never had problems with them so Summit actually did me a favor, thanks Summit! :nice:

So it seems pretty much in general that Mustang's Unlimited is a clear winner in general for all things considered, thanks guys, good feedback. I wish I could buy in person, but it is just not an option on my neck of the woods. Hmm, maybe this is opportunity knocking to open a place? :scratch:

The first place I ever bought from was Cal-Mustang. I was pleased with the way things went, but after collecting other catalogs over the years I've noticed their prices are pretty high. I have also purchased from Larry's for my father-in-law's T-Bird but find them pretty high too. I delt once recently with John's Mustang, pricing varies but the service level was oustanding to say the least. I will continue to buy from them when they have what I need. I really do like the selections and pricing for both Virginia and NPD, but I really dislike ordering via phone or mail. :( I mean, by the time I get an updated catalog from them to order thru, I will have likley received my order thru MU.

Thanks guys, I'm gonna give MU a try I think.

hungrymonkey said:
I have not tried virginia classic, but superdave endorses it. so they must be pretty good.

I've use VA Mustang since the middle 80's. They get a lion's share of my business. My gripe with them is no 800 number. C'mon, guys. You can afford it.

Still, everyone who answers the phone knows their stuff. Can't beat that in my book.
:nice:

MustangPaul said:
I've use VA Mustang since the middle 80's. They get a lion's share of my business. My gripe with them is no 800 number. C'mon, guys. You can afford it.

Still, everyone who answers the phone knows their stuff. Can't beat that in my book.
:nice:

Agreed! I've used Virginia Mustang for many years. They always have people who know what they are talking about, they ship fast, it's always good stuff and nobody beats their prices. So what if there is no 800 number? I call them on my cell phone - so there's no cost to me. 800 numbers cost the company bigtime - I'd rather they not run up the prices to cover it.

I got the chance to visit their shop a few months ago. Very friendly folk!! :nice: