Is this an original Cluster that would work in my 1987 Convertible 2.3L? Turn signals work, but not correctly.

The part number on the back is F3ZF-10C956-BA. It is an 85mph Speedometer with a clear plastic covering over the entire front surface. It is a 5 digit odometer that rolls over back to all 0's at 100,000. Getting turn signals working is the only difference of whether or not I drive my Mustang home after completing restoration after 15 years.

Problem: Left Turn signal stays solid and does not blink on the entire vehicle, but can hear it in the relay. The right turn signal does not display on the dash, but works on the exterior. It has not been functional in the 15 years of restoration.

I have replaced the following:
-Turn signal Relay behind Fusebox. [You can hear it click with turn signals left or right]
-Hazard relay mounted on steering column [You can hear it Click with Hazards on]
-Verified Multifunction switch with two other parts, brand new part and used off another mustang.
-Ignition Switch behind Key cylinder
-Fuse
-Verified Hazard Switch with another Switch that was for a GT hardtop. [If memory serves me correctly, it has the rear desfrost button instead of top up or down, I just tested the hazard button without plugging in the other wiring harness.]

I have no issue replacing parts on a 30+ year old car. I just feel i'm at wits end on WHY its not functioning. I have a chiltons at the shop.

Attachments

• 20240501_183744.jpg
    20240501_183744.jpg
    627.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240501_183757.jpg
    20240501_183757.jpg
    631.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 20240501_183655.jpg
    20240501_183655.jpg
    495.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Sponsors (?)

So there are two cluster year spans. 87-89 and 90-93. While there are some physical differences, the biggest difference is wiring.

You'll have to pull out a wiring diagram for an 87-89 and a 90-93, see what wires are different and swap them around.

Here's a file that may help. As you can see, the turn signals are on different pins. A lot of other stuff is different as well.

We do have the 1988 wiring diagram uploaded in our resource section.

1987 and 1988 would be the same when it comes to the instrument cluster. Technically the cluster oyu have is not the correct one for the car. 2.3L clusters are fairly cheap and should be easy enough to buy the correct 87-89 cluster off ebay. You can adjust the mileage fairly easily to reflect actual mileage pretty easy.

Reactions: 1 user
We do have the 1988 wiring diagram uploaded in our resource section.

1987 and 1988 would be the same when it comes to the instrument cluster. Technically the cluster oyu have is not the correct one for the car. 2.3L clusters are fairly cheap and should be easy enough to buy the correct 87-89 cluster off ebay. You can adjust the mileage fairly easily to reflect actual mileage pretty easy.

Thank you so much for confirming this information! I'm actually really happy that its the wrong cluster. This is the best news I've gotten today.

Yeah, you will want to email them and ask for the specific 87-89 span. Lots of vendors list parts as 87-93 unfortunately even when there are significant differences.

Here's one on Ebay for $100 . Auction lists it as GT but that's the 6K tach for a 2.3L and 85MPH speedo.

If you need a new lens

Cool! I've got to double check a couple recycling yards near me, if not, thats most likely what i'll be buying! Just to make sure what I want to look for in key differences in Instrument Cluster: 85 Speedo, 6k Tach, and Correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe I also noticed that there is a daughter board in the corner flush with the circuit board being a major noticeable difference between 87-89, and 90-93 differences?

87-89 will have a flat bottom
1714679121957.png

90-93 has a hump for the airbag steering column
1714679092091.png

4 cyl cars will use a 6K RPM tach. V8 cars got 7K RPM tachs. All 4-cyl cars got the 85MPH speedo, but you could swap in an 87-89 140MPH or 160MPH speedo....not that you need it. The calibration is all in the speedo head.

Hehehe... So what you are saying is I can take the 140 Mph from my 87-89 V8 Speedo and stick it into the 87-89 4cyl Cluster? If thats the case, I might just do it, just to disappoint people when they look under the hood.

Since we're on the topic of Instrument clusters, is there a Stencil kit out there to fix the paint on these? It seems like every single one i've looked at always has imperfections on the red paint. The photos you provided are the best i've seen. The two Cobras in the garage where mine sits just have blobs where the 55 used to be. I've thought about trying to refurb and repaint a few all at once if i'm going to pretty up whatever one I end up with.

No. Very limited resto stuff on clusters. You can get the clear lens, the rear ribbon, and bulb sockets. That’s about it. Everything else must be used.

And yes, you can swap the speedo around to your choosing. The clusters are pretty configurable. I had an 85mph in my car, then a 140mph and not an 160mph

Some info here on swapping.

View: https://youtu.be/o42xqBCfLpA?si=hJBH1viMN9wl3UWv

Reactions: 1 users
No. Very limited resto stuff on clusters. You can get the clear lens, the rear ribbon, and bulb sockets. That’s about it. Everything else must be used.

And yes, you can swap the speedo around to your choosing. The clusters are pretty configurable. I had an 85mph in my car, then a 140mph and not an 160mph
Thats a great Video! thank you. Purchasing a Cluster tomorrow supposedly! Its supposed to have the GT warning cluster with it. I'm going to try and wrestle the old guy out of the Low Fluid Module too if its still on the donor car. "Optional" features for these cars are getting really rare in my area and figure I better grab it if i can. I'll find out Saturday what it fixes and what else needs some love!

I actually ran across the original cluster, (I think), while tearing apart the family parts trailer. I noticed the module/daughter board does not have the black chip on it. Is this one busted?

Attachments

• 20240504_114631.jpg
    20240504_114631.jpg
    344.3 KB · Views: 11