Is this bad? Oil Leak

88gt88

Jun 4, 2007
I have a 2000 mustang gt. It appears to be leaking from the headgasket. After hours of searching the best thing I could come up with is it is a defective gasket and it is leaking around the high pressure oil port area. However, everything I find says that the problem is strictly for the 4.6 romeo or the 5.4 windsor. I have a 4.6 windsor and there is nothing out there that indicates this problem?

Here is a video you can see it bubble
Your looking right below thermostat housing
‪00 mustang oil leak‬‏ - YouTube

• Sponsors (?)

Im probably gonna just slap on new headgasket on the drivers side since thats where it is coming from? Do I need to mess with timing that much if I just do one side? Can I just press the timing gear off the head and then press it back on when Im done without changing anything?

Im probably gonna just slap on new headgasket on the drivers side since thats where it is coming from? Do I need to mess with timing that much if I just do one side? Can I just press the timing gear off the head and then press it back on when Im done without changing anything?

Depends on your cars engine. The Windsor engines (99-00) have the cam gears mated with the cam-shaft.

It has the windsor engine. Im also debating on whether or not I could put some rtv or jb weld to seal the leak? From what I am reading this problem causes nothing other than an oil leak. I would hat to pull the heads if I dont have to.

Nothing will seal a bad head gasket. Any additive you put in the coolant will only postpone the train wreck and make things worse in the long run.

Leaks get worse. It's part of life. Eventually that thing will look like a river.

I am with powers. There is no band-aid for a bad head gasket and it will only get worse. Meaning the leak will get worse and the potential of increasing expense at time of repair will increase. A leaking head gasket can damage the sealing surface over time (can warp or wire draw the aluminum) and a weakened spot on the gasket can cause leaks to travel in other directions - into the cylinder or coolant. It would be sound advise to have the surfaces checked to make sure they are flat instead of just slapping on another gasket.

Its not leaking coolant though. Its the sealing area around the high pressure oil port on the front of the head. Ford insists that this problem will cause nothing more than an oil leak and will have no effect on the operation of the engine. I figure by sealing up the little pinhole that will stop the oil leak and I will continue on since it wouldnt effect the engine anyways.

Ok After looking at diagrams and tons of pictures as well as talking to many people this problem doesnt make sense. The HPOF area is at the front of the head and this leak is on the side. The only thing I can find anywhere near this leak is a coolant port on the gasket. The engine only seams to leak after the car is warmed up and hot. I pressurized the coolant system to 16 psi and watched for about an hr. The pressure never dropped and nothing started leaking. I checked for combustion gases with a block tester and it tested good. I checked the coolant and it is right on spec and looks clean. The only thing left to do is a compression test. Can oil leak from this spot? Is this possible? The engine pulls awesome and shows no sign of any problems. I just dont like having oil sitting under my intake manifold.

I took the plug out for that cylinder and it looked perfect. The only thing I can see that would be close to the leak is the headbolt area of the gasket. Is it possible that oil is leaking through this area out the side of the headgasket? Everyone is telling me that headgaskets cant leak oil and I keep checking under the intake thinking im crazy but it is definately oil and not coolant. If infact a coolant port was leaking wouldnt the coolant pressure tester have droppped in pressure? I also sent my oil out to blackstone labs to be tested and no antifeeze was present.