Issues with the 2010 interior. Some really DUH ones too.

Mr_Q

Founding Member
Nov 5, 2002
Burbank, CA
So my buddy drove around one for only a week and encountered two pretty serious ones.

He popped the trunk FIVE TIMES while reaching down for the shifter. The trunk pop button is right there.

The redesign of the vents causes a really bad glare from the sun right in to your eyes.

And the new square center vents and radio cluster area are just fugly. The lack of knobs for HVAC, as always, is just not helpful. Driving and buttons is never as easy or safe and knobs. I don't know why interior design gurus keep running back to buttons!

His nice little write up.

Oh and he's another one that thinks the rear end is dreadful...because it is.

• Sponsors (?)

I guess owners of the cars will have to be the true judge to these issues. Seems funny he'd keep hitting a button when he's reaching for a shifter. I never had issues brushing the center console when reaching for the shifter........because I knew where to reach! As to the rest, I guess I'll make my decision when I get mine, but from what everything I've read the interior of the new cars is superior in every way. I know my 05 was rattling after a year, let's hope it's not the same with this model. And I'm sick of people b&^*^ing about the rear end. If you don't like it - don't buy it, or buy an aftermarket bumper. It's here to stay I would assume for the next 5 years until the next refresh. Only thing I'm disappointed in is the minor power bump. However, all the other improvements make the car a very well rounded vehicle compared to the outgoing model. Everything the bullitt got and more for only 800 more on a base GT and the bullitt option was 3k. Not bad if you ask me.

I would have to call that user error. I've had mine for 2 months now and have never once even come close to doing that. That button is flush mounted to the center console along with 3 other buttons. I'm assuming he keeps hitting the traction control and hazard buttons as well? Seriously though, that takes some pretty bad shifting to hit those especially more than once.

I've also never once had a problem with glare from the AC vents either. I would for this reviewer to explain to me the difference in the chrome around these vents and the chrome around the circle vents of the 05-09. Seems to me if that is a problem in the 2010 it would also be in the earlier cars to. Maybe chrome in 05-09 just doesn't glare....

For the AC - The only button I have to press is one to turn the AC on and a button if I want to change the vents the air comes out of. The speed control is a knob. I haven't seen a car in a really long time that had a know to select top, bi-level, feet.

I do agree with the speedo. It is tougher to tell the middle speeds on it.

I'll give you the rear is not for everyone. I personally like it where others don't, oh well.

But I'm going to have to start calling BS for those that want to bash the interiors fit and finish over the 05-09. Also, go look at the challenger and new camaro interior and tell me which is nicer. One reason I picked the mustang over the challenger was due to the interior.

Not trying to be an a$$ but I get the feeling that this guy is just trying to convince himself his car is better which kind of sku's a review and feeds BS to those who actually want some facts.

Have to call BS also. There is no way you would hit the trunk button shifting?? As for the rest? I also bought the 2010 because the interior is far superior to previous years. And the Camaro door panels and other parts look way way cheap.
Never owned a Mustang and this car is awesome. Anyone who is in the market for one wont be sorry they pulled the trigger (no pun intended).

The fit and finish of my 2010 GT is great. Really nice grain on the leather seats offset with white stitching and SYNC is the *****. The interior of this car was a major factor in buying it over the 2010 Camaro. After I test drove a 6spd Challenger, it was not even considered. I like the 1970 body, but it is too fat and the interior is generic for a $37k car. Everyone that sees the interior loves it so far - I've only had it for a week!

I love the new interior, except that the canned the leather wrapped dash. GOGO squishy plastics... gay.

rest of the new interior is sweet though. Love the new shifter too.

I'd have to agree with user error. Those buttons are placed in a spot that your hands should not be unless you need to press them. The only car i've ever had problems with button location was a VW. When i shifted into 3rd gear my knuckle would hit the hazard button on the main console just below the radio. Poor placement. BMW also has most window controls on the center console and i don't remember people having problems operating windows while they are shifting.

attachment.php

Attachments

• bmw.jpg
    bmw.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 394
I drove a 2010 and have to agree. I really dislike the interior. It's just ugly and too euro for my taste. When I got back in my 07 to leave, I thanked God my interior doesn't look like that.

I drove a 2010 and have to agree. I really dislike the interior. It's just ugly and too euro for my taste. When I got back in my 07 to leave, I thanked God my interior doesn't look like that.

Hopefully with the new fit and finish the dashboard in my 2010 won't rattle on every bump like my 05 did. And it's all matter of opinion, I personally like the 2010 interior over what was in my 05...not so cheap and platic-y feeling

Anybody that thinks the 05-09 interior is as good or better than a 2010s interior is jealous or just crazy. The 2010s interior is leaps and bounds better and this is coming from a guy that has a 07 GT500. The 2010 is cleaner and just plain nicer.

Well, I took a test drive in the 2010 Mustang GT, and here is my word-for-word write-up I posted on my own forum, Top Speed Auto Group Forums - Index, and I hope it's helpful to this thread.

"I just drove a 2010 Mustang GT today with the 5spd transmission and the Premium Package. All I can say is, "WOW!" It is no wonder that Ford didn't have to take the bail-out money.

This car, simply put, rocks.

Interior:

The seats are very comfortable, and I liked the low position that I could set them in, so I felt like I was in the car instead of on the car. The view out from all directions is great, and you get the added bonus of being able to see straight down the hood, making you feel like you're in a classic American Muscle Car. Awesome.

The shift-knob is comfortable to the hand, and if you close your eyes and feel for it, the shifter is right where you'd expect it to be.

The quality of the interior materials is light-years ahead of what you will find in a pre-2010 model, and suffice to say, also those in the new 2009 Chevrolet Camaros. The quality of the materials in this Mustang look and feel as if they could have been borrowed from Audi.

But, there is a downside. The steering wheel, while comfortable, is not telescoping...very inexcusable in the world of today's machines. Ford fine-tuned all of the little details except for what IMO, is the most important one; a perfect driving position.

Due to the non-telescoping steering wheel, I found my knees a bit close to the dash, but the steering wheel still seemed just a touch out of where I'd prefer the "reach" to be. I also had to sit with the seat less-reclined than I prefer, which was slightly irritating.

Ford/Microsoft's "Sync" voice-activated "whatever " is horrible. Neither the salesman or I could get this thing to work. Every time we'd say, "Sirius" to activate the Sirius Sattelite radio, it would ask us if we said something else. We repeated ourselves 3 times and got the same question. We also tried different commands, and it seems that Sync was "out of sync." Just like Microsoft Vista...nothing but problems.

Performance:

I did not have the least bit of chance to hammer the throttle and "see what it had," and that was disappointing, but there's not much that can be done about traffic; highway or around town. Obviously, this was what I wanted to see the most.

I got to take one turn at a high speed, and since I wasn't used to the car, I didn't want to press my luck, but the steering seemed direct, and there was none of that "on-center looseness" that is so prevalent in GM cars. It was "point and shoot."

The steering was tight, and provided good feedback, and I felt in control of the vehicle at all times.

The suspension was taught, but never punishing. While the car responded well to steering inputs, the suspension always felt "relaxed."

While on the interstate loping around and 5th gear and trying to pass someone, forget about it. There is NOTHING there, even when cruising at about 70 mph. In order to make any ground, a downshift is going to be required, even if you have your foot mashed to the floor. My STI in 6th gear provides more passing power than this V8 at 70 mph without requiring a downshift.

The brakes were fairly responsive, but the pedal felt mushy. Maybe that's because I'm used to driving my STi, but regardless, the pedal feel was just okay. The brakes felt good enough to stop, but not good enough for a lap around a track.

The clutch was very light, and the 5spd shifted crisply and positively, though the throws were quite long. This was a very easy car to drive, and I dare say that this car would be very easy for someone to drive who didn't know how to drive a manual transmission equipped automobile.

The Details:

Photos do not do this car justice. The lines on this machine are just awesome, and the wheels compliment the design very well, even with the standard 18s. IMO, a 19 in. wheel upgrade is not necessary, and all it's going to do is add unneeded weight and more meat to the bottom line.

Mustang Vs. Camaro...The Final Analysis

Simply put, this car makes the much more powerful 2009 Camaro feel like a piece of ****. I had the "opportunity" to sit in one over Father's Day weekend and the interior wreaked of cheapness; IMO, not much better than you'd find in a 1998-2002 Camaro, plus, the Camaro was difficult to see out of.

IMO, the Camaro trumps this Mustang in very few departments; the additional power, independent rear suspension, seat comfort (very close to the Mustang's) and a tilt AND telescoping steering wheel.

All in all, there is no question with this Mustang why GM needed a bailout and Ford didn't.

Ladies and Gents, Mustang wins."

I also drove the new 2010 Mustang. I really liked the design and the way everything "flows" The power didn't really impress me as much as I thought it would. I do like the interior and the seating position. The wife even told me to go ahead and get it! I haven't yet and will have to wait for a few months. I just have to check how bad NJ will rape me on insurance!

Will