Jeep Techies NEED HELP ASAP

my66coupe

Founding Member
Apr 30, 2002
Arizona fountain hills
95 grand cherokee laredo 4x4 4.0 automatic. Went wheeling today, got back, and noticed a clicking noise coming from the front axle. sounded identical to a grinding ball bearing, or a squared off ball bearing. well low and behold i get under the car to notice that both right and left side bearings are missing from the tips of the axle. It is located at the end where the axle meets the spindle. The bearing is covered by a large dust boot. The axles are free floating and have nothing to engage with... They move back and forth, and up and down. I dont know if the splines have been damaged... oh god what a night. Any thoughts.... Where do i begin?!?! thanks guys

Mike

Ps I also hate jeeps which are chrysler owned which is a subdivision of mercedes which i also hate....see other post

p.s.s. I now have to drive the stang in the rain until i get this pile fixed! :notnice:

• Sponsors (?)

Well after i calmed down a bit, i got under the car to get things underway. The CV joints which connect behind the hub were completely toast. The rubber boot came off and dirt got in....ripped those suckers away. Well spent the better part of my afternoon tearing off the hubs and getting those suckers out. It took me awhile to get those hubs out but everything was a peice of cake......200 bucks and 2 cv joints later, the jeep is back on the road :flag:

thanks guys

Mike

ps... I still hate this car.

my favorite jeep saying

IF YOU CAN READ THIS PLEASE ROLL ME BACK OVER

i have a 93 chero for a DD and i love it it has 180,000 miles on it and still runs like a top, only left me stranded once and that was because of the stupid GM ignition switch rod that broke. a friend of my wife once told me she thought i was crazy for buying a jeep since it was made from leftover parts from other manufacturers, my comeback was "yeah but i can find parts for my jeep from just about any american car on the road and some foreign ones too" about 6 months ago her 95 mazda 929 died and she hasn't driven it since because she can't afford the parts to get it fixed. :D

I thought it was kinda neat how I used a jeep speedo gear to get the right reading after my gear swap in the stang. Ford didn't need that low of a gearing for the FMX... but jeep did! So at least they made their own speedo gears!

I was gonna post "CV joints". But looks like you've already got it under control.