Progress Thread Jewel Green street/strip 92 LX progress thread

• Sponsors (?)

Figured I should update this thread...
Dyno results last summer:
20150711_100131.jpg

Added custom 3" tails and new mufflers old ones rusted out, again last summer.
20150812_093343.jpg
20150812_104839.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Car was a joy to drive put almost 1000 miles on last summer, but the Tremec 3550 trans was toasted. So I talked with @90lxcoupe about his experience with face plating and Liberty. So trans was pulled first of December and dropped off at Liberty. I was advised a 12 week lead time. Well about mid March I get a call, trans is appart it a cracked case, spun 3rd and 4th gears and on and on. So I opted for a done up TKO600 which I just picked up today! Even if the other trans was salvageable I still would have went this way, this has a faster 1st gear. This will help my 60 ft time.
20160328_161254.jpg

20160328_153156.jpg

20160328_152904.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Well but of course I spin it that high:eek::D! Im afraid the thing will brake the block if I spin it hard enough to see the power drop off:p. Although the block and the whole lower is cryo treated:shrug:.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry to hear about the case, that sucks, you will love that new transmission though. I like the tailpipes, those came out good, i wish i would have thought of doing them that way before i put the under axle ARB in.

Im not really sure, some of damage does not really seem possible with this power plant. Car came with this set up, so hard to say.
The yoke on the front of the driveshaft is also being replaced, because it wore the outside of the barrel uneven, driveshaft was bent and straightened in multiple places. It is now true and balanced. Here are some pics, case had to be dropped or? the common cracks is the threads where the front retainer bolts on. Again with not knowing the history who knows.

3rd and 4th sheard keys, how does that happen with a NA small block ford torque???
20160329_184641.jpg

Case cracked at dowl hole
20160329_184815.jpg

Last edited:
The cases are the weak link in all of the tremec TKO's, i have heard that the newer cases may be weaker than the old school TKO's because the newer aluminum is more porous. No evidence to prove that but it was a pretty reliable source(Bruce Hemminger). Also, having a really tight bell housing to throwout bearing retainer fit may help case life. I had to pry my trans out of the bell, it was pretty tight. I have broken 2 TKO's in pretty dramatic fashion and for whatever reason the cases never broke. First was a original TKO, 2nd was a liberty prepped TKO-600, both times were casualties of too much clutch.

A billet yoke is also a must have, the cast ones twist the splines on the inside of the yoke pretty easily.

Why is the graph so jittery even with the smoothing on 5? Maybe I missed it, but whats the combo?

We figured it was RF noise with the ignition. But did not notice it in the drive afterwards so decided it was a waste to chase it. Also note did not see it in the fall dyno run on a different dyno.

Combo is 331 with SRP pistons, 10.5:1, FTI solid roller, shaft 1.6 rockers, AFR 205, super victor, 780cfm pro systems carb, super sucker 1" carb spacer, Bassini long tubs with 3" X pipe and 3" Dynomax mufflers.

This car is getting drag rims, I sold all my 4 lug stuff when I went 5 lug. I so like the Billitt Specialties 15x10 street lites with 275/60-15 hoosier drag radials. All my calculations show I can fit a 7" bs wheel. But of course they make a 6.5 or 7.5. Weld makes a 7" BS though. Am I asking for to much to suck her in a 1/2" per side?
Mind you I am using Fox axle width not a SN95.
Also looking at 17x4.5 for the fronts incase I ever go Cobra front brakes.

Looks like if I go Billitt Specialties I will have almost 2K in wheels alone:eek:.

As you can see in the picture, I did the exhaust at a buddy's fab shop on the hoist suspension was hanging so we kept it very close to the axle knowing it would be way out of the way. No issues with rubbing, and the mufflers are lower. The front headers rub since they are behind the front wheel. No regrets on the way it turned out, way better then over the axle exhaust IMO.

I agree. I like below the axle better. I've seen guys installing 99-04 Cobra exhausts on Fox, so I see a trend. Plus it's nice to be able to drop the exhaust without cutting or pulling axle

This car is getting drag rims, I sold all my 4 lug stuff when I went 5 lug. I so like the Billitt Specialties 15x10 street lites with 275/60-15 hoosier drag radials. All my calculations show I can fit a 7" bs wheel. But of course they make a 6.5 or 7.5. Weld makes a 7" BS though. Am I asking for to much to suck her in a 1/2" per side?
Mind you I am using Fox axle width not a SN95.
Also looking at 17x4.5 for the fronts incase I ever go Cobra front brakes.

Looks like if I go Billitt Specialties I will have almost 2K in wheels alone:eek:.

15X10 with 6.5 b/s takes some hammer work to fit a 275/60. On my fox the 6.5 b/s centers the tire very well. Have run as large as 28x11.5 QTP. That took some BFH work and cutting the lip. I can say for sure that 15x10 with 7'' b/s would not work on my car.