Junkyard: what cars can i find a 351w in?

Bigstang1

Founding Member
Aug 28, 2002
Massachusettes
Does anyone have a complete list of what cars were available with 351w? I saw a few old tbirds in the yard but i believe those came with the 351m. Just for reference can somone post how to tell a 351w from a 351m from a 302. The last thing i need is to come home with the wrong motor. there were a few LTDs there as well but im not sure which came with the 351w. Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

The 351M400 (335 series) appear much larger (have canted valve heads) or wider than a 351W.

To tell a 351 from a 302, take a look at the distance between the oil filter and cylinder head... The 351 will have a good distance compared to the 302. If that helps any...

Check out this page: http://www.fast351.com/tech/351w.htm

The old blocks are good if you can find them. My cousin's 69 351W can be stroked up to 427 without problems. But the mid 70's blocks aren't worth the extra effort. If you find some 90's blocks from a truck, they should be roller blocks - meaning they can accept roller cams easier.

exactly, count the bolts, m and c's have 8 bolts...... and thermostat housing in block. just look totally different.....

most RAUNCHeros will have 351m/400 in em tho........ not many windsors there........ and most LTD's from ~71 on will have m engines....

if you find a 351w block, go ahead and use it, they are all very similar in strength. there are differences though in deck height. the 69-70 blocks are 9.49", the 71-mid 80s blocks are 9.5", and the latest blocks are 9.502(?) so be aware of that when selecting a block.

one more thing, check the number two main bearing very carefully. the last few 351w blocks i found all had a spun number two main bearing, one was so bad that the cap was completely toast though the block could be saved.