Progress Thread Fire Hazard GT build: On the road

Bought my '11 GT in '12 with 9K on the clock, and pay $335 per month. Insurance is $55 per month, full coverage with several tickets on my record. Got a "new car" interest rate since it was only a year old, have good credit, and can still take the Mrs and the kiddos out to dinner just fine, @madmike1157 . On another note, a fox with a $3K turbo kit divided by $335 is 9 months worth of payments, plus two more months of payments for a dyno tune, plus another 6+ months of payments for upgraded clutch, trans, various supporting parts, and youre nearly two years into that new car for an old car probably lacking A/C, navigation, a nice factory stereo, and a warranty. There are always two ways at looking at each situation. Its all what we determine to be what is best for ourselves. I just want both. My nice daily summer driver '11, and a blown fox. Not sure why my wife doesnt understand that.

• Sponsors (?)

And a 550 a month Pymt for the next 5 years.

YIPPPEEE!
photo-1081.gif
I get to make a big payment,..each and every mon n nth....then I'll call up my insur r rance, and take it in the bu u utt.. And after about 6 months of those, I'll wish I had my fox back.
* verse 2*
I used to go out to din n ner,....but now I have a big paay y ment, so I'll stay home and just eat wein n ners.

PS, how many $335 monthly payments could you have made with the money spent on the '68 fox, just to get rid of it and start all over on the Gila? All while driving the car instead of burning your back welding under it. ;)

Bought my '11 GT in '12 with 9K on the clock, and pay $335 per month. Insurance is $55 per month, full coverage with several tickets on my record. Got a "new car" interest rate since it was only a year old, have good credit, and can still take the Mrs and the kiddos out to dinner just fine, @madmike1157 . On another note, a fox with a $3K turbo kit divided by $335 is 9 months worth of payments, plus two more months of payments for a dyno tune, plus another 6+ months of payments for upgraded clutch, trans, various supporting parts, and youre nearly two years into that new car for an old car probably lacking A/C, navigation, a nice factory stereo, and a warranty. There are always two ways at looking at each situation. Its all what we determine to be what is best for ourselves. I just want both. My nice daily summer driver '11, and a blown fox. Not sure why my wife doesnt understand that.
PS, how many $335 monthly payments could you have made with the money spent on the '68 fox, just to get rid of it and start all over on the Gila? All while driving the car instead of burning your back welding under it. ;)

No no Nick. No fair only telling part of the story. I guess the payment amount is relative to how many months you want to keep doing it, and how much you coughed up upfront, before you started making your 335.00 monthly payment.

I looked before this reply.

You must've had God on your side the day you bought your car.

Even in today's mkt, a low mileage 2011 Premium GT still commands over 20k. That's, for a car that has the commensurate " low mileage" for its age ( around 30,000 questionable miles ( as in, you don't know how hard that horse was ridden before it got its wash, and shine,.....then presented for sale)).

Without adding one single percent of interest, let's do a little math then, shall we?

20,000\60 = 333.00

So then, what you're telling me is that you bought a 1 year old, low miles GT for 20k?:crap:

Now let's get even more real.

Even though you got a " new car" interest rate, there's still gotta be a number there. Let's say 6%

Now you must've had God, his son Jesus, Mary, and Joespeh all in your corner, cause in order for you to have a 335.00 monthly pymt, spread out over 60 months, that means that you managed to find a low miles, one year old GT for 17,300.00

WHAT!!!

The fact of the matter is this sir. When I threw out the 550.00 number, I was talking about the real world monthly pymt on 30000, calculated at new car loan interest rates ( around 3%) drug out for 60 long assed months.

Even at that "pie in the sky" scenario, you're still gonna have to get a whole bunch of lucky to buy a one, or two year old S 550 for less than 35k.
And then you get to add how much extra dollars the 3% adds to the 35k after the last pymt was made.........2734.00. At 6%, ( which is more than likely the best you'd get on a used car loan) add 5600.00 to that instead.

That's $ 40590.00 for a 35000.00 car.

Now,...how many red cars, and g monsters can I have for actual dollars invested
For 40,000?

Hmmm,...:thinking:....let me think about that....:thinking:...Both of them.

I just wanted to say for the record that my son is grounded from his wheels for teenage shenanigans... So i had to drive him to work this morning.

I took him in the turbo car.

Reactions: 2 users
I just wanted to say for the record that my son is grounded from his wheels for teenage shenanigans... So i had to drive him to work this morning.

I took him in the turbo car.
Can you "ground" me? I want a ride:D
As my uncle used to say "boys will be boys". My dad didn't share the same philosophy. He'd make my life miserable if/when I did stuff(and got caught) lol

Can you "ground" me? I want a ride:D
As my uncle used to say "boys will be boys". My dad didn't share the same philosophy. He'd make my life miserable if/when I did stuff(and got caught) lol

Well the ride in the car wasn't a reward, it was just convenient. I tell ya man, i am definitely reaping what i sowed. This kid has gone full blown teenager on me.

Reactions: 1 user
And a 550 a month Pymt for the next 5 years.

YIPPPEEE!
photo-1081.gif
I get to make a big payment,..each and every mon n nth....then I'll call up my insur r rance, and take it in the bu u utt.. And after about 6 months of those, I'll wish I had my fox back.
* verse 2*
I used to go out to din n ner,....but now I have a big paay y ment, so I'll stay home and just eat wein n ners.
Well now lets just sit down and look at that for a moment....

For what I'd get for the combination of my Fox and my F150, I would have about 3/4 of the money to put down on the new car. The remaining payment would be closer to $200/month. I'm also currently paying more to insure both my truck and my Fox body than I would for a single new Mustang alone.

No more wondering if my TFI module is going to take a dump on me in the middle of nowhere, or if my T-5 is going to scatter on my next hard shift. No more creaks, groans, wind/road noise, No more nickel and dime repairs, and the 14mpg fuel mileage that I'm getting with my pick up. I'll be starting off with anywhere from 3-5-years warranty (depending on what year I choose) right off the bat. Ice cold air, SYNC, NAV, big brakes, tough drivetrain, super sweet engine, superior ride/handling, more comfortable interior, all the cool little apps, power everything.....and a better platform to work from for future mods with a late S197 or S550.

Do you know how nauseating it is to realize guys are making more final power numbers after just a cold air intake, cat back and tune as your average Fox body owner is making after a complete top end kit, with all the bolt ons?

So yeah....a $200.....even $300/month payment will neither hurt, nor break me over the next few years and IMO, the rewards far outweigh the deficits.

Well now lets just sit down and look at that for a moment....

For what I'd get for the combination of my Fox and my F150, I would have about 3/4 of the money to put down on the new car. The remaining payment would be closer to $200/month. I'm also currently paying more to insure both my truck and my Fox body than I would for a single new Mustang alone.

No more wondering if my TFI module is going to take a dump on me in the middle of nowhere, or if my T-5 is going to scatter on my next hard shift. No more creaks, groans, wind/road noise, No more nickel and dime repairs, and the 14mpg fuel mileage that I'm getting with my pick up. I'll be starting off with anywhere from 3-5-years warranty (depending on what year I choose) right off the bat. Ice cold air, SYNC, NAV, big breaks, tough drivetrain, super sweet engine, superior ride/handling, more comfortable interior, all the cool little apps, power everything.....and a better platform to work from for future mods with a late S197 or S550.

Do you know how nauseating it is to realize guys are making more final power numbers after just a cold air intake, cat back and tune as your average Fox body owner is making after a complete top end kit, with all the bolt ons?

So yeah....a $200.....even $300/month payment will neither hurt, nor break me over the next few years and IMO, the rewards far outweigh the deficits.

But,....if you get rid of the truck, where are you gonna put the 2x4's the next time you have a project?

No hatch in a new mustang. My opinion, a Fox does not make a good daily driver unless you are single. And honestly, most women do not want to ride in one.

My DD has always been and always will be a truck. The fox is just a toy.

Joe

Reactions: 2 users
No no Nick. No fair only telling part of the story. I guess the payment amount is relative to how many months you want to keep doing it, and how much you coughed up upfront, before you started making your 335.00 monthly payment.

I looked before this reply.

You must've had God on your side the day you bought your car.

Even in today's mkt, a low mileage 2011 Premium GT still commands over 20k. That's, for a car that has the commensurate " low mileage" for its age ( around 30,000 questionable miles ( as in, you don't know how hard that horse was ridden before it got its wash, and shine,.....then presented for sale)).

Without adding one single percent of interest, let's do a little math then, shall we?

20,000\60 = 333.00

So then, what you're telling me is that you bought a 1 year old, low miles GT for 20k?:crap:

Now let's get even more real.

Even though you got a " new car" interest rate, there's still gotta be a number there. Let's say 6%

Now you must've had God, his son Jesus, Mary, and Joespeh all in your corner, cause in order for you to have a 335.00 monthly pymt, spread out over 60 months, that means that you managed to find a low miles, one year old GT for 17,300.00

WHAT!!!

The fact of the matter is this sir. When I threw out the 550.00 number, I was talking about the real world monthly pymt on 30000, calculated at new car loan interest rates ( around 3%) drug out for 60 long assed months.

Even at that "pie in the sky" scenario, you're still gonna have to get a whole bunch of lucky to buy a one, or two year old S 550 for less than 35k.
And then you get to add how much extra dollars the 3% adds to the 35k after the last pymt was made.........2734.00. At 6%, ( which is more than likely the best you'd get on a used car loan) add 5600.00 to that instead.

That's $ 40590.00 for a 35000.00 car.

Now,...how many red cars, and g monsters can I have for actual dollars invested
For 40,000?

Hmmm,...:thinking:....let me think about that....:thinking:...Both of them.

Deals can be found if you are patient, and my interest rate is 1.9% on my car. I had a bigger response typed up, but lets not argue, dear friend. Each person just has to decide what they want, and how they want to achieve it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
No hatch in a new mustang. My opinion, a Fox does not make a good daily driver unless you are single. And honestly, most women do not want to ride in one.

Joe

I usually dd my truck as well. I will probably go back to it soon to keep the fox out of the elements and the truck... Gets better mileage. Ha

Deals can be found if you are patient, and my interest rate is 1.9% on my car. I had a bigger response typed up, but lets not argue, dear friend. Each person just has to decide what they want, and how they want to achieve it.

There is no way I would pay 6 or 7 percent interest. I was fixing to walk out on 5% my last loan, ended up at 3.2%.

Joe

Joe
I have dd'd several foxes and the problem to me was all the nickel and dime problems. Ford never meant these to be in the road 30+ years. I've finally got my current ride close. All it needs is ac. Not sure if I will daily it again or not. Squeaks and rattles never bothered me much, but that's just one person's opinion. My daily for the last 5 years has been a yj wrangler.

But,....if you get rid of the truck, where are you gonna put the 2x4's the next time you have a project?

Oh, I plan on retiring from home renovations as well. :nice:

Seriously though....if I need a pickup that bad, it's cheaper to rent one on occasion than to own one. Or I could always take a 15-minute drive up the road to my parents place and borrow my fathers 2009 Ford Ranger. :shrug:

I have dd'd several foxes and the problem to me was all the nickel and dime problems. Ford never meant these to be in the road 30+ years. I've finally got my current ride close. All it needs is ac. Not sure if I will daily it again or not. Squeaks and rattles never bothered me much, but that's just one person's opinion. My daily for the last 5 years has been a yj wrangler.

See, the problem with getting these cars "close" is that by the time you've just finished changing the last worn out part, the first part needs replacing again. The only new parts you can buy for them now are mostly made in China and only designed to last a year and any used "Made in America" parts you do find at the local pick n pull, or swap meet are already half worn out when you get them....Gotta love the shoddy 80's build quality. Not to mention some of the obsolete and more popular stuff (quarter windows for a coupe comes to mind) is being sold for at new, or higher than new prices. You're right when you said Ford never meant these cars to last 30+ years....which is why most of them haven't. It's any uphill battle and I think I'm done fighting it.

I know I'm gonna miss the raw, "muscley" feeling of driving the Fox, and the satisfying feeling know I built it myself....but something tells me I'm going to get over that in a hurry the first time I get home from a drive and haven't got a headache from exhaust fumes. Not to mention that at the rate the aftermarket is churning out parts for the S197's and S550, I'll probably never have to worry about a lack of parts to piss my extra cash away on. :D

Works been keeping me from getting over to the machine shop, but I put in a call. Got good news. The Rods are still useable and the crank can be ground. The bad news, well the crank seems to have a soft spot and four of my pistons are shaped like an icee cone. So I think I'm going to whip the welder out and try to make some modern art out of the whole thing. Might make some money back from some of the artsy hippies out here.

It's going to be a while before I get a chance over to the shop, but I think I have one of the most evil build plans possible...........
Racoon.jpg

I've thought about this for years......everyone has expectations to see me go big, so I'm feeling like I've got to take it to a whole new level. It's time to build it the way ford really should have. Oh yeah, you all know what I'm talking about!
306.png

That's right....I'm taking it back down to 5.0 all over again (yup 302 is just shy at 4.9)! I know, I'm trying to get excited about it, but everything lined up and I got a crank, rods and some pistons coming. I even decided to go with a boxed cam just to add to the excitement.
f303.jpg

So I ordered the above un-respected bumpstick. Got some new radiator/coolant hoses, a cobra grill insert, the oil pump, and the radiator air deflector I seemed to have lost. I got them yesterday and after receiving today's LMR sales add know I should have waited. Seems my insert and hose kit went on sale. I waited on some of my parts...none of which made the sale.

On another note, anyone ever use the Scott Rod inner fender panels? I'm thinking about putting a set of the rivet ins into the fox.

Last edited by a moderator:
Works been keeping me from getting over to the machine shop, but I put in a call. Got good news. The Rods are still useable and the crank can be ground. The bad news, well the crank seems to have a soft spot and four of my pistons are shaped like an icee cone. So I think I'm going to whip the welder out and try to make some modern art out of the whole thing. Might make some money back from some of the artsy hippies out here.

It's going to be a while before I get a chance over to the shop, but I think I have one of the most evil build plans possible...........
Racoon.jpg

I've thought about this for years......everyone has expectations to see me go big, so I'm feeling like I've got to take it to a whole new level. It's time to build it the way ford really should have. Oh yeah, you all know what I'm talking about!
306.png

That's right....I'm taking it back down to 5.0 all over again (yup 302 is just shy at 4.9)! I know, I'm trying to get excited about it, but everything lined up and I got a crank, rods and some pistons coming. I even decided to go with a boxed cam just to add to the excitement.
f303.jpg

So I ordered the above un-respected bumpstick. Got some new radiator/coolant hoses, a cobra grill insert, the oil pump, and the radiator air deflector I seemed to have lost. I got them yesterday and after receiving today's LMR sales add know I should have waited. Seems my insert and hose kit went on sale. I waited on some of my parts...none of which made the sale.

On another note, anyone ever use the Scott Rod inner fender panels? I'm thinking about putting a set of the rivet ins into the fox.
C'mon RD! ( or should I call you Dave? or Kevin?) Get the rest of your minion pals together, and either:

A. Threaten to shoot LMR with a tactical fart cannon.
Or
B. Instigate a jelly embargo against all of the tele-sales force there.

They'll be so scared that you'll either corrupt the air supply, or make their morning toast too bland to tolerate that they'll match the sales price.

Or you could just threaten to return it all, whichever works best for you.:shrug: