Just got off the phone with Ford Racing (Valve Covers) *frustrated*

red94fiveo

Apr 12, 2003
Wichita, KS
I just got off the phone with somone from the Ford Racing tech line and do not like what I was told. I said that I was doing a headswap on a 94 GT vert. and wanted to know if I could use any of the EFI valve covers in the Ford Racing catalog. I got a very quick NO on that one. So I asked if running a GT40 intake with a spacer would help, he said no way. He told me the only thing i could run was my stockers.

I was under the impression that some guys here ran fox body VC's after head swaps and that they worked OK. I guess I kinda just assumed that since the EFI valve covers in the catalog were for 86-93, they were the same as the fox bodies. Is that a flawed assupmtion?

What do you guys think? Can I run a set of the EFI valve covers from the catalog? Thanks. Specifically I was looking at # M-6000-J302R, the black satin ones that say Ford Racing.

• Sponsors (?)

The J302 covers are going to put your oil filler neck right in the way of the throttle body.

My setup:
94-95 cobra intake, Chrome fox valve covers (m6582-d302), GT40 heads. Roller rockers.

I had to take out the oil filler baffle on the pass. side cover and grind down where it mounted. Easy.
The filler neck sits back about an inch or so further than stock 94-95 covers do. It is a tight fit but does work.
3/8" spacer between upper and lower intake is needed, unless you want to grind some of the egr bottom off. And some of the fitting under the upper intake on drivers side.

181580_16_full.jpg

OK, so I don't know why I have my heart set on these Ford Racing VC's so much, but would it be possile to modify the oil filler neck to make them fit? I was thinking something along the lines of cutting it off and rewelding at an angle. Just a crazy thought, how stupid and/or realistic does that sound?

I'll probably just end up getting the foxes, but I would love to be able to run something a little unique.

BTW- Did anyone have trouble with hood clearance with a 3/8" spacer? I have a GT40 intake. I will most likely just cap the EGR if I go that route, we don't have emissions here anyway.

would it be possile to modify the oil filler neck to make them fit? I was thinking something along the lines of cutting it off and rewelding at an angle. Just a crazy thought, how stupid and/or realistic does that sound?

That is exactly what i had done to mine... cost me five bucks.

Myengine (9).JPG

The egr tube is pretty close to stock possition and the way the filler tube is bent acts as a baffle.