Just test drove a new GT coupe...

richardsdd

Founding Member
May 17, 2002
Green Bay, WI
I had to wait an hour to drive it, but I just got back from test driving a new GT Premium black coupe with an automatic trans. I've got to say, the auto wasn't as peppy as I would have liked. It just didn't kick down very quickly. Don't get me wrong, it was still fast. It didn't take long to get up to 75 before I was even on the highway...

Other than that, it wasn't a bad ride. I definitely liked the new look of it though. I think I'll wait to until I drive the 5-speed before I put my name on the list... :)

• Sponsors (?)

I also test drove a automatic GT, and was very impresed with the overall feel of the car. The car felt like it was really solid with no body flex. The interior was much better than I expected with a lot more room than even my big old 73 inside. The ride was firm but not jarring (I wonder how they did that?). And my favorite thing about the new GT was the steering/response, which was amazing. I can't afford one now or in the next few years even, but once I finally get out of school and start working I'll consider getting one of those instead of a vette. I really like the C5.

I wouldn't buy an automatic 05 anyway. Heard the transmissions are crap.

I would like to test drive an 05 with either transmission though. Just to see what they are like overall.

Speed_Demon1965 said:
I wouldn't buy an automatic 05 anyway. Heard the transmissions are crap.

Where'd you hear that? I've only heard good things. :shrug:

I test drove an auto GT a couple weeks ago and was blown away by how great it was. The gearing seemed right on and kept the engine in the sweet spot all the way past 70mph. Actually has me considering an auto instead of a stick for my future '06 GT.

Before it came out, everyone knew what the transmission was going to be. I saw some people say it was a bad idea to put that tranny in the Mustang, because it had problems in the past and current models that use it. :shrug:

I also read some people on the '05 forum saying they were having auto tranny problems.