Key Fob

Klock75

Feb 3, 2016
I have a 99 gt..it has power locks on it now but I don't have a key fob..I also have a 02 gt for parts it has fob...I was told all I had to do was change the body control module..?? Any input?

• Sponsors (?)

You should just be able to reprogram the remote fob from the '02 to work on the '99. A lot easier to do than pulling some module out. Takes all of 30 seconds to reprogram the remote to the car. Flip the ignition switch a few times, press the buttons on the remote, and done. Could probably do a search on the site for a how-to, or even Google it. If nothing else, just find a remote fob for your '99 on eBay or Amazon and do the reprogram. You can get the remotes for dirt cheap...I bought a spare for my Explorer for like $10, and programming it was a breeze.

EDIT: I think I understand better what you're saying after rereading that. I'm fairly sure that all the vehicles came with a remote fob by that year. Unless you've been the only owner of that '99 from day 1 and know for a fact that it never had a fob, then all you'd need to do is reprogram a remote. But if it has always lacked the ability to do the remote feature, I can't say for 100% certainty that you'd only need that module.

Last edited:
Were you able to get the remote programmed to your '99? I found this link on how to program the remotes:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j_dh8GZQKA

If you need to get a spare remote and don't mind having a "generic" one, I know most of the major parts store chains have them (I picked one up at Pep Boys for $10 one time) or you can get them online for cheap too...eBay, Amazon, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Were you able to get the remote programmed to your '99? I found this link on how to program the remotes:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j_dh8GZQKA

If you need to get a spare remote and don't mind having a "generic" one, I know most of the major parts store chains have them (I picked one up at Pep Boys for $10 one time) or you can get them online for cheap too...eBay, Amazon, etc.

Nice, very easy. Time to grab a spare remote.

If your car didn't come with a remote from the factory then I don't believe that you can just program one. Now if it did originally and they've been lost along the way then the process is easy. But if it wasn't a purchased option from the factory, then yes you may need to add the module as well. I don't have any experience with it in the mustangs specifically which is why I said pretty sure and not 100%, my experience with this is in other fords such as the crown vics.