Kick Down Installation Issues

fredpinto

15 Year Member
Mar 9, 2012
Greetings,
I have looked for others with a similar issue with installing the kick down cable for a C4 automatic trans. So far all my attempts have failed, meaning the kick down never kicks in. If anyone can provide me with insight I would be most grateful. It appears that my 65 coupe is in fact made up of components of many other years. For example the engine is a 302, and I can not locate any ID tag. It would be nice if I could find some info for it but right I am stuck on the kick down issue.

1) I have a new kick down kit and do I install the bracket onto the shaft coming out of the transmission pointing up or down. Should the bracket movement be clock wise or counter clock wise?
2) What does it mean if when the kick down cable is taut and no kick down happens? Is there something missing inside the transmission?
3) I have an 500 cfm Edelbrock carb and right now the kick down cable attaches to the accelerator linkage. Please see photo. Should there be some linkage from the carb directly to the trans?

69725A.jpg

• Sponsors (?)