Lets Make Some 67-68 Fastback, Fiberglass Interior Panels .

horse sence

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Wile Coyote's stunt double
I made these molds some time ago ,i have only used them a couple of times .I made them from the panels out of my 67 GT 390 /Johnny's Car. The seat side panels were almost spotless so they made some really great molds with nearly flawless grain finish .This will be 9 panels altogether ,but to make the 9 panels for a 67-68 interior i need 13 molds .There is also the light cones on the back of the seat panels and the mounting at the bottom of the seat panels .They will have everything that the factory panels have ,including the metal backing strip on the seat panel that the vent covers screw to .This is my molds
_MG_5041.JPG
_MG_5042.JPG
_MG_5040.JPG

This is the molds for the light cones and the seat panel bottom mounts ,and the rest of the molds around the trap door .
_MG_5038.JPG
_MG_5035.JPG
_MG_5036.JPG

• Sponsors (?)

I sprayed the liquid mold release early this morning ,two coats and waited for it to dry ...didn't take long .
_MG_5044.JPG
_MG_5046.JPG
_MG_5045.JPG

Soon as the mold release dried i sprayed in the gel coat .Now i have to wait for the gel coat to set up
_MG_5047.JPG
_MG_5048.JPG

The mat is cut and waiting ,1 layer of 1 oz and one layer of 2 oz .it will take most of the day to lay up everything .

Great work Jim. You are simply amazing at this stuff.

"then i will take them out of the molds and trim them and bond the pieces into the seat side panels."

So these are overlays? Just curious.
Not over lays ,they are the finished panels . They need the mounting plates and the light cones bonded on the back sides .
I have the seat side panels out of the mold ,they are very nice ,the grain finish is pretty much perfect .Still have to pop the rest out of the molds then i can trim it all .I will get some pics later .

The inner Quarter trim panels before trimming
_MG_5054.JPG
_MG_5056.JPG

After trimming ,all the holes cut out and screw holes drilled

_MG_5059.JPG

The light cones trimmed and mounting brackets trimmed and ready to bond in .
_MG_5057.JPG

The reinforcement strips for the top of the panels where the vents will screw to .
_MG_5060.JPG

The reinforcements pop riveted into the panels .67 -68 are the only years that use these plates .
_MG_5061.JPG

The lower mounting brackets and light cones are bonded in place .

_MG_5063.JPG

The panels are finished ,ready to be painted and bolted in place . They are a little bit heavier than the original panels and also stronger . Beats the heck out of plastic that usually warps on the first hot day and will not support your fold down back seat when laid down .

_MG_5064.JPG

The rest of the panels are out of the molds but still need trimming ,i will probably finish them tomorrow .

_MG_5062.JPG

I had to run my dog to the Vet yesterday ,she got a fox tail in her ear ,so i didn't get the rest of the panels trimmed until today .Remember my new watch dog /puppy i got last year ? She is just a bit bigger now at 1 year and 1 month:rlaugh:
Picture 1 003.jpg

IMG_0048.jpg

These are the two panels at each side of the trap door
_MG_5068.JPG

The two vent panels ,just need the new Scott Drake grills to finish them off.
_MG_5066.JPG

The two panels behind the vent covers .
_MG_5067.JPG

The whole set with the piece above the trap door ready to go ,this set is going in a friends Fast Back .
_MG_5065.JPG

I am working on the 65 -66 Fast Back panels and should have the molds made soon ,They are just as nice as the 67-68 s