Lets Talk Dot Drag Tires

• Sponsors (?)

I snapped a stock axle on the line with nitto 555r's.. Well prepped track also. Launched at 4500 or 5k... Car didn't even move...addermk2 has a good point with the sidewall flex. I agree.

compared to a wrinkle wall bias ply?

Yea, That's what I thought.

The NT555R, NT05R, BFG Drag, MT ET Street Radial, Toyo Proxes TQ... all "stiff wall" drag tires.
radials are radials, and there's "stiff wall" bias-plys, and "wrinkle-wall" bias plys. i believe both the et streets and qtps are stiff walls, and of course theres an et street RADIAL too.

and i wouldn't really consider a 555r a true drag radial, its way more to the "sticky street tire" side than an actual competition tire like an et street radial or a bfg.

Reactions: 1 user
Addermk2 is correct in what he is saying about the stiff wall MT ET Street Radials. These are the 235's that I have. With a stick, they are hard to launch. And yes, everything that I have researched, read, and guys I have talked with at the track, all agree that a stiff wall drag radial is harder on drivelines then a softer walled slick.

This is why I will go to a biasply tire the next go around. This will be for track only. I will put the 555r's back on for daily use, as they do give better traction around town.

Joe

Reactions: 1 users
I will add one last thing:

There are alot of guys out there who go fast on drag radials. Most of those guys are at the track tweaking and tuning regularly and have the budget to swap parts back and forth and see what works Best. For the average hobbiest like me, I don't have the time or resources to make a stiff wall radial work for me. I just want to go and have a good time, and a slick like tire makes that the easiest.

Joe

honestly axle wise he would be better off on a slick. a good radial is going to be MUCH MUCH harder on driveline parts. things like nittos will be ok since they pretty much suck as a drag radial. but a mickey... hoosier... mickey pro... all of them will be hard on axles

honestly axle wise he would be better off on a slick. a good radial is going to be MUCH MUCH harder on driveline parts. things like nittos will be ok since they pretty much suck as a drag radial. but a mickey... hoosier... mickey pro... all of them will be hard on axles
So i take it your real vote is for a bias ply et street? Would i be able to get a full season or more out of them going to the track 2 to 3 times per month? Tubes or no?

No doubt. I've seen drag radials destroy 31 spline axles on a low horsepower car before.

But, you can't drive with slicks on the street. Not fun.

So i take it your real vote is for a bias ply et street? Would i be able to get a full season or more out of them going to the track 2 to 3 times per month? Tubes or no?
I had tubes in the Hoosiers. I made about 30 passes/probably 20 street races(I was young/dumb) and put about 500-750 street miles on them. They were used up probably slightly before I stopped using them. So I would think for your intended use I believe they would last the summer/season.