Lets Talk Dot Drag Tires

So i take it your real vote is for a bias ply et street? Would i be able to get a full season or more out of them going to the track 2 to 3 times per month? Tubes or no?
honestly id still run the baddest radial i could put under the car. and wouldnt try side stepping the clutch and stuff like that at 6200rpm... im not a fan of bias ply tires at all.

• Sponsors (?)

I've never ran a "good" radial. My only experience with dr's are the Nittos and they suck. I did get under 2.0 60ft with them but I liked the bias ply's @ the track. Not so much on the street. I actually am going to a MT et street this year. 275/60-15 is what I'm going to run with. Was supposed to pick them up this past weekend but ended up having to push it to this upcoming weekend.

Reactions: 1 user
You can make a radial work on a stick car, but it takes a lot more finesse than a slick. You'll have more throw away passes on a radial than on a slick, but the car may run quicker on the radial.

I've never ran a "good" radial. My only experience with dr's are the Nittos and they suck. I did get under 2.0 60ft with them but I liked the bias ply's @ the track. Not so much on the street.
iirc the best i EVER got with my nittos was like a 2.02, MAYBE a 2.01 60', although i did get close to it a few times, and that was after 4 years of almost daily summer driving and about 40-50 passes. actually still had good tread on them when i swapped em for my current g-force sports (which have gotten a 2.07 or 2.08), but they were cupped real bad down the middle. i do wonder how fast i actually could have gone with them, since i didn't really start powershifting until after i got rid of them (was too afraid of breaking the t5) and i was able to meet, and beat, my best nitto et/mph with the bfg's (on my second pass on them btw, barely even had em 4 days).

anyway, the radial pro's are out just because they're not a DOT tire (somewhat important to what i'm trying to do), but i am back to leaning towards the radial side. am i reading right that the regular et street radials are the same compound/construction as the pro, just a different (DOT friendly) tread pattern?

again, sizes im looking at:
275/50-15 (26x11.5): same o.d. as my street tires and my old nittos, shouldnt have fitment issues, but 4.10s make for a lot of revs
255/60-15 (27x10.5): a little more sidewall (and looks awesome in the well), but loses an inch in width, but also shouldnt have fit issues
275/60-15 (28x11.5): dunno if i have the power to really get this tire moving yet, possible fit issues, but is basically the standard "rule" size for almost every class i'd be interested in assuming i started class racing

Y'all mind if I thread jack for a second? Say a guy wants to buy a set of drag radials to mount on a set of wheels for track use and he currently has 17x9's all the way around. What size wheel should he buy for the drag radials? I know that's a pretty broad question but do any of y'all have a ballpark answer?
Thanks and my apologies again.

Y'all mind if I thread jack for a second? Say a guy wants to buy a set of drag radials to mount on a set of wheels for track use and he currently has 17x9's all the way around. What size wheel should he buy for the drag radials? I know that's a pretty broad question but do any of y'all have a ballpark answer?
Thanks and my apologies again.

15" wheels are the pretty standard drag race setup. Using a 15" wheel with a 26" tire leaves a lot more sidewall then using say a 17" wheel with a 26" tall tire.

I cut a best of 1.84 on the 555r's. My best so far with the MT's has been a 1.81.

Joe

iirc the best i EVER got with my nittos was like a 2.02, MAYBE a 2.01 60', although i did get close to it a few times, and that was after 4 years of almost daily summer driving and about 40-50 passes. actually still had good tread on them when i swapped em for my current g-force sports (which have gotten a 2.07 or 2.08), but they were cupped real bad down the middle. i do wonder how fast i actually could have gone with them, since i didn't really start powershifting until after i got rid of them (was too afraid of breaking the t5) and i was able to meet, and beat, my best nitto et/mph with the bfg's (on my second pass on them btw, barely even had em 4 days).

anyway, the radial pro's are out just because they're not a DOT tire (somewhat important to what i'm trying to do), but i am back to leaning towards the radial side. am i reading right that the regular et street radials are the same compound/construction as the pro, just a different (DOT friendly) tread pattern?

again, sizes im looking at:
275/50-15 (26x11.5): same o.d. as my street tires and my old nittos, shouldnt have fitment issues, but 4.10s make for a lot of revs
255/60-15 (27x10.5): a little more sidewall (and looks awesome in the well), but loses an inch in width, but also shouldnt have fit issues
275/60-15 (28x11.5): dunno if i have the power to really get this tire moving yet, possible fit issues, but is basically the standard "rule" size for almost every class i'd be interested in assuming i started class racing
After doing some calculations I recommend the 26" or 27" tire. I don't believe you'll have enough power to justify going to a 28". If you had a power adder the 28" would be an option. Over gearing tends to actually keep you above the torque curve and can actually slow you down. Your combo should have a fat mid rpm curve with a shift point somewhere around 6k and peak tq around 4500. You don't want the rpms to drop off to far down in the power band nor to high. If you take it easy on the drive to the track and really watch the weather(NO RAIN) I'd buy a bias ply. One other negative aspect to them on the street though is emergency braking. So be mindful of that before purchasing. The MT ET radial is a good tire from my investigating but I've never ran them before.

Take my car for example. Should trap around 122-125mph. I have 3.73 gears. Why should I go to a 28" tire when my 26" tires match my cam profile?

I should trap around 6100-6250 rpm.
better tire= "easier" traction
if your 26/3.73 combo works for you thats fine but id rather have a 28/4.10 or 4.30 combo and take advantage of the better tires

better tire= "easier" traction
if your 26/3.73 combo works for you thats fine but id rather have a 28/4.10 or 4.30 combo and take advantage of the better tires
Nice to know that, while knowing NOTHING about my combo, you think I should run a lower gear.

This is why your opinion sucks.

ive never found a car my "opinion" didnt work on. hasnt mattered if it was a turbo car blower car NA car nitrous car street car race car... take advantage of the easy traction advantage that a better tire allows and gear accordingly to what you need

but hey what do i know lol

Reactions: 1 user
haha you keep thinking that... i know nothing about turbos lol

id take easier traction and make up for it gearing wise.

Attachments

• turbomotor.jpg
    turbomotor.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 172
Your boss' car? Greaaaaat.

There is a reason I have my 3.73/26" combo... but if you asked the right questions, you'd know why.

And that car is hardly relevant here.