Lets talk safety

On a safety note, since that's what this is all about, when I was watching Street Outlaws, several cars with in car cameras I could see the drive shaft/U joint spinning, exposed right by the drivers thigh, elbow area, this was on an NHRA track. Ryan Martin even had one explode sending pieces through the roof! Surely rules mandate some cover on the inside of the car in that area. I would want some kind of armor in that area.
I also noticed a lot of exposed transmissions. :eek:
Is this just unReality TV BS ?

• Sponsors (?)

On a safety note, since that's what this is all about, when I was watching Street Outlaws, several cars with in car cameras I could see the drive shaft/U joint spinning, exposed right by the drivers thigh, elbow area, this was on an NHRA track. Ryan Martin even had one explode sending pieces through the roof! Surely rules mandate some cover on the inside of the car in that area. I would want some kind of armor in that area.
I also noticed a lot of exposed transmissions. :eek:
Is this just unReality TV BS ?
No the pro275 car we race has an exposed trans... NHRA requires a box around it now but I have mixed feelings about that. With the amount of harmoninics these cars put out it rattles everything loose. Even the beadlock bolts on the rear tires. We had a trans fitting come loose that goes to an external trans cooler if that trans was boxed in for how NHRA wants it done we would have never caught the leak and would have put enough fluid out to get every where under the car.

As for the exposed u joints... same guy who built Ryan's car built the pro275 car we race. He actually built the new car right after this one. If he was running the lock up 400 his u joint would have been under the tunnel. But he now runs the titanium driveshaft tunnel back over the tail shaft.

Reactions: 1 user
I have everything the NHRA rule books says I need.
Some stuff is overkill, like the Helmet, I buy the best one that I can afford. I only got one head (empty though it is) so max protection there.
I also use a Hans Device, when a neck collar will pass tech.
One piece suit, no gaps.
Gloves, shoes, head sock, and all of that.
Car is chassis legal to 8.5 in the 1/4, but it will blow through that with ease.
So I do mostly 1/8 mile racing where the chassis is still legal for the ET/MPH

Yea your car is so nice id have to make sure who ever did the cage could tuck it tight to everything and still be able to put everything back in. But also on the flip side it's mostly street driven and a cage on the street is super dangerous also. This is one of the reasons I'm building another car.
That’s why I’m leaning toward a 6 point bolt in deal . Team z although I also am not in love with all of their stuff seams to make a nicest one

That’s why I’m leaning toward a 6 point bolt in deal . Team z although I also am not in love with all of their stuff seams to make a nicest one
I'd find someone to make me a custom bolt in cage and pay 5 times what a team z cage costs just not to buy any more of their junk

I'd find someone to make me a custom bolt in cage and pay 5 times what a team z cage costs just not to buy any more of their junk
Yeah that defeats the purpose of ordering one up lol. May as well have him do the 8.50 cert at that point

While me personally i have absolutely no interest in a cage, i've always wondered if the theory was that if you have an accident with a cage and no helmet you are likely to smack your head on the bar.

And i think driving a manual trans foxbody with flip flops is idiotic.

Correct, that is why they make padding for the cage bars. You pad the bars when you drive on the street.

I drive in flip flops all the time. Never had an issue.

Kurt

I drive in bare feet
1696820472988.png

Correct, that is why they make padding for the cage bars. You pad the bars when you drive on the street.

Kurt
Not sure what I'd rather hit my head on... SFI roll bar padding or the bar itself. That stuff is hard AF

Kurt
I've had them get caught under a pedal (just the flip flop, not my foot).
I don't find anything wrong with driving a modern car with flip flops, but 3 pedals, a somewhat heavy clutch and a tight pedal area make a fox not one of those cars i want to drive that way.

Last time I wore flip flops I was maybe 12 years old. I don't wear them or crocs, sandals or anything like that. It is either bare feet or shoes. That's it.

I've had them get caught under a pedal (just the flip flop, not my foot).
I don't find anything wrong with driving a modern car with flip flops, but 3 pedals, a somewhat heavy clutch and a tight pedal area make a fox not one of those cars i want to drive that way.

I have stepped into the world of a twin disk and a hydraulic clutch. Flip flops it is.

Kurt

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I've gotten several 10 point roll xage kits from S&W racing. There worked out really well in the past. I should have a cage in my fox but I'd also have to change the seats.