Little Help - Transmission Swap / No Start

shanezoffka

Jan 13, 2017
Ok guys I need some help. I have a 98 v6 standard shift. I needed to make it an automatic so I took the transmission, transmission lines, radiator, transmission mount, driveshaft, transmission harness, ecm, key chip, and shifter from a 97 and installed it in the 98. The problem I am having now is that the car will not crank and the theft light is flashing. I know the ecm will need to be flashed to remove the theft light but why is the car not trying to crank over? Did I miss something that needs to be swapped over for it to work?

• Sponsors (?)

Want a quick guess? How about you forgot to install the jumper in the clutch pedal position (CPP) neutral safety switch (NSS)?

Often there are parts inside a car for both automatics and manuals. These parts are "jumped out" when not used. In connector C235 (R/LB) there is a jumper installed to take the place of the missing CPP switch that the automatic does not have. This allows the pilot duty NSS circuit to be completed when the key is turned to start.

If you did install the jumper, then it will be necessary to trouble shoot the whole NSS circuit at each control point. You will need a volt-ohm meter (VOM). A set of wiring diagram will be a big help.

If interested in getting a copy for yourself I maybe able to help. PM if interested.