Long Road To Current Ownership

Redskulker

Nov 30, 2015
This Story has been posted elsewhere, but since it tells the story best (for me) I am reposting it as my introduction.

It all started way back in the late 70's. I was 15, and my father had decided to get a “fun car” which at the time ended up being a 65 mustang convertible. Now this car was far from perfect. We bought it in Wisconsin in the dead of winter. Running on only an estimated 5 cylinders we limped it home where it sat in the garage until we could figure out what to do with it. We knew it needed more work than just the engine, as the top looked best down, and the body had more filler than a surfboard (more on that tie in later). Believe it or not though, we had made our purchase for around 300 dollars.

Cut to mid summer, we doing our best impersonations as shade tree mechanics did a top end rebuild in the garage and soon the car was out on the road. The top still looked better down, and bumps in the road were worrisome as we never knew what they might shake off the body, but my taste for cars was set. Little did I know then that particular car would not last long in my life. A short time later my dad sold it to a friend who helped him on some project or another, for around 500 dollars. I remember little detail about that car. 289 V8, and if I remember correctly an automatic with an overdrive option, at least the selector had a "D" option and another with an "O" next to it, in addition to the normal lower gear selectors.

Not long after that I found out we were moving “out west” to California. I was going to be old enough to drive, but had no car. I could only imagine thinking what we had just sold, and how that would have turned out.

Now 36 years later I find myself reviving the dream, somewhat. I satisfied my taste for convertibles with the purchase of a Toyota MR2 (generation 3), where I also learned the value of forums and the wealth of friendships and information they can provide. But life’s circumstances lead me to part ways with the MR2. I ended up with a garage full of Honda’s which, while nice cars, they are just that, “nice”. With a Civic and a Fit I had utility but any desire to “drive” was something I had to manufacture in my mind.

I longed for something more. I considered a higher grade Honda, and also on the list was going back to a Mustang, thinking back to that car from so long ago that got away. I started combing the dealership websites as the previous generation cars were going away and there were deals out there to be had. I wanted specifically a manual transmission, and the V6 made enough power for me. But I believe in democracy and in my household there are two voters, so I had to get the wife to agree to any plan, after all as Lebron James let us all know “happy wife, happy life”. But the summer of 2014 passed and I saw car after car disappear before my eyes until there were no more. I took a passing glance at the 2015’s after this, but for me, and meaning no disrespect to those who have those cars here, I just preferred the looks of the outgoing generation.

Then one day I began to notice more and more new mustangs on the street. I got to thinking, with all of the new, perhaps there’s a gently used one out there with my name on it. After what seems like the worlds shortest search ( of course I still was familiar with the dealership websites) I found this: It's a 2011, although I suppose experts here won't need me to tell them this. With only 15,100 miles. Premium/comfort package, V6 and the Manual Transmission it was too good to pass up. I'm sorry for the long winded story as to how I got here. I hope I have not wore out my welcome before I even get my foot in the door.

Oh, and as to the surfboard reference at the beginning of the post.
Being in California the irony seemed applicable. This car's not that convertible though, but I got over that a couple of cars ago

Attachments

• IMG_20150520_190600.jpg
    IMG_20150520_190600.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 82
  • Sponsors (?)

Really wonderful story, can't blame you reviving the better looks and performance of older generation of cars. Nice find on your 2011, sure a sweet ride!