Long Tube Headers Or Shorties?

I wouldn't take that statement to the bank. I've seen plenty of 2V's with stock bottom ends fail long before that....even with the above. There is absolutely no room for error at those power levels. One bad tank of fuel....a missed gear.....pushing it hard on a hot day.....run that tank of water meth low. Any of the aforementioned would spell all she wrote for that engine. Mod motors are not detonation friendly, even without forced induction to speed them on their way out.
Yea that is true. But that is also true of lots of engines. I've seen NA builds go boom from those same reasons. But most of those things can be prevented. Don't let your meth tank get low...don't push it hard on a hot day, leave your rev limiter on for just in case you do miss a gear. As far as bad gas, at best, you can use octane booster every few fill ups. But there is always some risk associated with these builds. I don't think the 2V engine is as weak as most people say it is. Can it handle 12 psi and 500 hp to the wheels? Well some have claimed to do it...but I think 400-450 at 8-10 psi is about what it can handle. By comparison, even the Coyote engines shouldn't be pushed past 10 psi absolute max. And depending on the size of the blower or turbo, you shouldn't even go that high. But for an engine that makes 260 hp at the crank to make 400-450 to the wheels is very good. That is identical to a S550 Coyote going from 430 at the crank to 570-620 at the wheels. Comparatively, the 2V is just as good.

• Sponsors (?)

Well....you're not gonna get it done against a Z06 with just bolt ons, I'll tell you that right now. Start looking into a power adder at the very least. First generation C5 Z06's are mid-12-second cars all day.....and some have dipped into the low-12's/high-11's with them.

A C6 Z06 is going to eat your lunch even with the blower under the hood. Plan on spending A PILE of cash if you expect to be chasing one of those down. A STOCK C6 Z06 will run 11's with ease and I've seen at least one run into the high-10's with nothing more than drag radials.

If it's a C7 Z06...well, you might as well just blow your car up now and save yourself the money and aggravation of doing it later on trying to keep up with him. It'll never happen.
I completely agree. The only way to beat a Z06 is with a heavily modded car. And even then, you might be able to beat the driver if he has no skills behind the wheel...but in the hands of an equally skilled driver, the Z06 is not going down like that. You'd need a highly modded and really well GT to even be in the ballpark.

And what did you have installed prior to them? And for that matter, were the headers installed alone, or with other bolt ons?

I had the LT's installed with a shorty O/R prochamber. At that point I had a POS K&N FIPK CAI and 4.10 gears

And to continue the conversation, my 2V outran 2 C6 Z's at the track and 1 on the street. My new setup will eat Z06's on a daily

Last edited by a moderator:
And to continue the conversation, my 2V outran 2 C6 Z's at the track and 1 on the street. My new setup will eat Z06's on a daily
Not unbelievable.....but then your old set up is more than just bolt ons and blower. You also had the heads done, a built short block, upgraded fuel system, etc.

Now we're back to the list of mods being worth more than the car.

As much as I love Mustangs, love my New Edge, let's not get into comparing them to Z06's. Those were purpose built track machines with REAL engines in them & they put the pain on Mustangs of all flavors 10 times from Tuesday most of the time haha. If you even want to stand a chance you better bring a built 4v with you to the party, and out power the hell out of them b/c C5/C6 Z06's have the market cornered in power/weight ratio.

All in all, Gearbanger101 really is spot on here. If you love your New Edge & want to keep it you WILL have to spend 2 to 3 times what the car is actually worth just to merely KEEP UP with modern technology. The only reason I hang on to my New Edge is b/c I simply love the body style on these cars, it's still my favorite to this very day. With a good exhaust system it can be made to sound great & you must accept that you're slow by todays standards, that's all there is to it.

But none of this is news. Cars improve. And to keep up, the older cars need mods. Even if you do spend more than your vehicle is worth on mods you're still enjoying the car. There are people who buy classics, restore them, modify them, spend upwards of $50K on them, just to sell them for half that, even for a quarter of that. We don't do this for value, to get rich, to make a profit, to get our money out of it, or for any of those or other reasons...we do it out of passion and love for the sport. I dumped tens of thousands of dollars into my Stang. If I sold it, I'd probably get $5K at best. But I'll never sell it. And I'll keep dumping more and more money into it. Because it is a hobby and a sport. People spend tens of thousands of dollars on other sports...bowling, tennis, skiing, rock climbing, sky diving, etc...they do it because they love it.

Reactions: 2 users