Looking For Another Gt

1987stangman

Jul 12, 2006
Hey guys, with in the last few days have acquired the ability to buy another Mustang. I have at least 20k cash to spend and I have decided that the S197 Platform for the avaliblity of cars around my area with low miles for the money and looks. I'd like to have at least a 2010 which I believe was the platform refresh start year as I personally consider the '10-14' the sexiest years. I would like to have the 11' simply for the new 5.0 but money wise that may not happen. I have several prospects all of which are 3 valve 5spds cars and my main prospect is a one owner black on black 5speed (I won't give on Trans type for nothing) with 54k for 17,900 but with cash I think I can do even better even though the KBB is spot on with the dealers asking price. Going to check it out tomorrow.

Another reason for this decision is I have recently moved up big time with my job and want something a bit more nice and more comfortable to drive since my wife drives my 2013 Tacoma most of the time, so you might as well call it hers since she absolutely loves the truck.

I guess my main question here is what to do with my 2000? Unless I get another convertible Mustang I'm for sure going to miss that aspect of driving it because my last two Mustangs have both been convertibles. If sell the 2000 I could utilize the money for good mods like a blower, etc but I really want to go down the road of visual customization too. If I keep the car I could build it over time and make a play toy of sorts out of it too. That's what I had planned with my 87' GT though too and it ended up just sitting in the garage through two additional Mustang ownerships and it sat in the garage more than I drove it or worked on it. It hurt to sell that car too because I had it for nearly 15 years and it was as clean as they get. Wife wants me to sell the 2000 what do you guys think about it?

If I do decide to sell it should be pretty easy. I bought it bone stock and did all the mods myself except installing the new top and it has nearly every record of maintenance ever performed on it and every receipt for anything that was ever purchased no matter how small since new and has just over 122k on it which isn't bad for the year.

Brian

• Sponsors (?)

No doubt about it the cyote was a home run for Ford. I did look at two but after tax tag and title the price got out of hand. I ended up with my very first choice that I found on auto trader.

For just a few thousand more you're buying a FAR superior platform with the 2011 Coyote. The 3V's aren't slouches by any means but the Coyote will be capable of power levels (with ease) that the 3V's just can't touch. It sounds like you have the funds & an asset in the 2000 Vert so hold out & buy the superior platform, you'll be much happier in the end & a lot faster!

For just a few thousand more you're buying a FAR superior platform with the 2011 Coyote. The 3V's aren't slouches by any means but the Coyote will be capable of power levels (with ease) that the 3V's just can't touch. It sounds like you have the funds & an asset in the 2000 Vert so hold out & buy the superior platform, you'll be much happier in the end & a lot faster!

Well I made my move, I ended up with a Black 2010 GT 5spd. Seems the last year of the 3v was their best at least at 315HP. I would have loved to had a 5.0L under the hood but I would have had to finance the rest as I paid straight up for the car and right now we are also in the process of buying a new home. Not to mention explain stuff like this to my wife is like talking to a brick wall. I'm not sure what I will do with the 2000. I looked up KBB on it and the high side is 5k max which just 2 years ago it was around 6900 I thought. Since the 2010 is paid for I thought about just investing in a supercharger kit and go from there. I at lease have to get a axle back for it first. Stock exhaust just wont cut it. I was hoping I could transfer my SCT handheld tuner that I just bought from AM can be transferred to the 2010

Attachments

• CAM00786.jpg
    CAM00786.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 107
Congrats. But I have to say I wish I had seen this a bit sooner. The thing is, if you had $20K, that could have put you in a Coyote as they go from $20K to $25K depending on mileage. And I'm sure a dealership would have met you at a good price to get your business. See, the thing is, a 3V can make good power. But on stock internals, you're looking at a limit of around 450-500 max to the wheels. And the stock clutch can't handle more than about 450 to the wheels. Also, that 5 sp trans is a bit outdated by today's standards. The Coyote now, that thing can handle in the 600 hp range to the wheels. And they can make that on 8-10 psi. On top of a better suspension, 6 sp trans, and all the other goodies. It is well worth the extra money. But that is all moot.

Since you have the 2000 and the 2010, I recommend to just do bolt-on stuff to the 3V and save the big stuff for the 2V. That way you can have your nice reliable comfy newer GT to just enjoy and you can have your other car for all the heavy mods. If the 2000 GT has to sit for engine issues or whatever, you'll still have the 3V so it won't matter and you'll be able to take your time with stuff. My 03 GT has been down for months. But that is ok because I DD my 2010 Camaro SS and my 2004 F150.

Congrats on your purchase. The 2010 is still a very nice looking Mustang, especially in Black. If you do end up going with a Supercharger setup you'll easily eclipse the factory Hp/performance level of the Coyote & it will be plenty for the street.

I'm not sure if I'll keep the 2000 or not. I think I'm more inclined to sell it and put the cash back in the bank. The resale value blows I was shocked to see what the kbb high value was even in excellent condition. As far as power, the 2010 is miles quicker than my 2v.

On a side note I called American muscle the other day to see about getting my SCT tuner transfered over to my 2010 and they want 150 bucks to do it and write some new of their supposed custom tunes. Honestly, I don't think the tunes they gave me for my 2000 were worth the cost of the tuner to begin with.

Ouch. I personally would have purchased a 99/01 Cobra or Mach 1 and build it into a complete 600rwhp+ monster for that $20K.....then keep the 2000 as a DD