Lowered car, making clunking noise

• Sponsors (?)

I had this problem when I lowered my car too, after the springs settled. It was because the bolts at the top of the struts weren't tightned down far enough and the struts were moving up and down. So I would suggest checking the bolts under the hood. If that's not it, then I'm not sure what the problem is.

PEWTERPONY said:
What the hell is wrong with my suspension? I like the way it looks, hate the way it sounds. Makes a clunking noise over bumps and whatnot. Not sure what to do

join the club man.... been struggling with this one for a while. i have the mach 1 shocks/struts as well. Im thinking they may have something to do with it.

what c/c plates do you have on there (if any)?

Yall need Spring Isolators. You probably pulled the stock ones off when changing the springs & didn't put new ones on as most kits don't come w/ them. Or you left the stockers on & they are now worn out. It'd take about 35000-50000 miles for the stock Spring Isolators to wear.

Not sure what caused it but I had a similar noise after installing lowering springs.. expecially when turning slowly.. but it went away completely when i got an alignment.. hope that does the trick for you!

index.php

1fast03pony said:
my isolators are 5000 miles old

If you lowered your car, you should:

1) Make sure to either reuse or install new spring isolators (e.g., http://www.maximummotorsports.com/isolators.asp) If you use Urethane, make sure to grease them...unless you like squeaks!)
2) Make sure any bolts reinstalled are torqued to spec (e.g., lower control arms, etc.)
3) Install a rear pinion snubber designed for lowered cars (e.g., http://www.maximummotorsports.com/MMPS.asp)
4) Get your car aligned properly

I had loud banging noises when going over bumps. I found out my problem was the pinion snubber. Once I replaced the stock unit with MM's, the problem went away. As for regular NVH, its going to be much worse then stock since your spring rates are higher. That goes with the territory...

Good luck and let us know how it goes...

Norm

one thing I noticed when I installed min is on one of the front the isolator wanted to slip a bit when I was seating the spring. I had to re-seat it twice because the isolator sliped a bit and the spring was toching the lower a-arm. I still say checking the cc plate would be easy. unbolt the strut. hit the bottom of the strut with a rubber mallet. if you hear you clunk it is the spherical bering. if not look elsewhere. clunks and rattles are hard to find somtimes. I had this damn cricket noise that sounded like it was in my dash turned out to be one of the clips on the roof rail. took me forever to find.

normster6969 said:
If you lowered your car, you should:

1) Make sure to either reuse or install new spring isolators (e.g., http://www.maximummotorsports.com/isolators.asp) If you use Urethane, make sure to grease them...unless you like squeaks!)
2) Make sure any bolts reinstalled are torqued to spec (e.g., lower control arms, etc.)
3) Install a rear pinion snubber designed for lowered cars (e.g., http://www.maximummotorsports.com/MMPS.asp)
4) Get your car aligned properly

I had loud banging noises when going over bumps. I found out my problem was the pinion snubber. Once I replaced the stock unit with MM's, the problem went away. As for regular NVH, its going to be much worse then stock since your spring rates are higher. That goes with the territory...

Good luck and let us know how it goes...

Norm

Rear Pinion snubber is good, the noise is in the front. im changing out the steering rack this weekend because my uncle had the same problem with his car and we swapped it out- the noise is completely gone. I have a feeling the diphsits that installed the suspension damaged it somehow.

I had a simliar problem when my k-member was installed. I thought that I was hitting the oil pan on the road. It turned out that the car was sitting too low and the shocks were bottoming out. I had to raise the front end a little, but I had coil overs so it was easier for me to do. Did you change the shocks/struts when you did the springs? If not, the travel of the OEM shocks/struts might be too much and are bottoming out. You might need to install aftermarket shocks/struts. I did mine with the springs.

mustang35thann said:
I had a simliar problem when my k-member was installed. I thought that I was hitting the oil pan on the road. It turned out that the car was sitting too low and the shocks were bottoming out. I had to raise the front end a little, but I had coil overs so it was easier for me to do. Did you change the shocks/struts when you did the springs? If not, the travel of the OEM shocks/struts might be too much and are bottoming out. You might need to install aftermarket shocks/struts. I did mine with the springs.

I was thinkng this too. I have OEM mach 1 shocks/struts. I think ill add some koni's if after the new rack goes in it still makes noise.

I have bilstein's and only 1.5" drop Eibach pro kit and mine still has the popping noise. I went under the car yesterday and tightened everything up nothing real loose 1/2 a turn here 1/4 turn there and now it still happens but
alot less frequent and alot less severe. I did a search yesterday and someone
that had this problem with stock suspension got it fixed under warranty and said Ford already knew the problem and the solution something about improperly engineered front controll arms or something to that effect

Do a search under POPPING NOISE AFTER LOWERING

P.S. when we get this solved we can move on to the next mod

dew22 said:
I have bilstein's and only 1.5" drop Eibach pro kit and mine still has the popping noise. I went under the car yesterday and tightened everything up nothing real loose 1/2 a turn here 1/4 turn there and now it still happens but
alot less frequent and alot less severe. I did a search yesterday and someone
that had this problem with stock suspension got it fixed under warranty and said Ford already knew the problem and the solution something about improperly engineered front controll arms or something to that effect

Do a search under POPPING NOISE AFTER LOWERING

P.S. when we get this solved we can move on to the next mod

interesting. But if the suspension is lowered i doubt theyd fix it under warranty...

yeah this is a real setback. I like to do things right before moving to the next mod. hopefully it gets solved soon.

1fast03pony said:
interesting. But if the suspension is lowered i doubt theyd fix it under warranty...

yeah this is a real setback. I like to do things right before moving to the next mod. hopefully it gets solved soon.

I agree the car that had the warranty work was not mine and was stock according to the person who posted in another thread, do a search (popping noise) and I think you will find the thread with the post I refered to.

By the way this morning mine was as bad as ever slow left turn's 5mph on bumpy surfaces seems to make it happen. 1fast03pony what is your suspension set up?