Lowering Springs

Akali47

Apr 6, 2015
I want to lower my 1997 Cobra, about an inch. I've found springs, however I've been told that I should get the appropriate shocks/struts and camber kit. Starting to get expensive for a 1" drop.
Currently the car is stock... Can I just go with the springs?

Thanks!!

• Sponsors (?)

AKALI, I just bought a 2002 GT with eibach suspension on it. It corners like you were on a roller coaster. It is very stiff and a wild ride on pavement that is very bumpy. Speed bumps suck and I have to nurse my way over them. most bumps are ok, but some you have to go over them very slow and at an angle. Low is cool,,,,, but really think about what you will gain and what you will lose by doing so. I wish my car wasn't lowered. It squats low and cool next to my 2002 V6 convertible but the expense of lowering has its bad points. I hope this helps you decide if the change you want to do is worth it or not.

I want to lower my 1997 Cobra, about an inch. I've found springs, however I've been told that I should get the appropriate shocks/struts and camber kit. Starting to get expensive for a 1" drop.
Currently the car is stock... Can I just go with the springs?

Thanks!!

You can but you may or may not have enough adjust-ability in your front end to put everything where it's supposed to go. The OEM shocks and struts "may" work for you but there's also a pretty good chance that you will bottom out those shocks on bumps, pot holes. etc. Not only will that make for a harsh ride but it also makes those shocks eat themselves up. If I had expensive shocks that I had already installed, I would sell those and get the shorter ones versus trashing the ones that are in there.

The short answer is that "yes" you may be able to get away with just the springs. Were it me, I would hold off on the install at least until I had the means to purchase caster/camber plates and/or shocks in-case I needed them.