Maf Issues

88LX5.Oh

15 Year Member
Dec 30, 2011
Arkansas
I converted my car to MAF a while back and at the time I didn't have the cash to buy a calibrated MAF sensor so I just through one random MAF sensor and housing on there that I had laying around. Well, it ran like crap. My dad had an 80 MM Granatelli housing and MAF sensor that he wasn't using, but it came off a '97 F150 so he cut the 89-93 MAF connector off and wired in the F150's connector. The F150's connector was rectangular and my original one was an oval. The car runs ok but I want a smaller MAF housing (73 or 76 mm) and I want to know for sure that the sensor is calibrated for my 24 lb/hr. injectors (the F150 had 42's). My question is, what year model Mustang shares that same rectangular connector? So I can order that and get it running right. Or should I just wire in the original 89-93 connector and then order the MAF for an 89-93?
MAF.jpg

This is the type of MAF I need, but I can't seem to find one of these sensors calibrated for 24's. Only for 19's. Any help is appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

These are the guidelines of this portion of the 5.0 forum.

"This section is for those who have questions or want to learn about Ford's EEC.

Questions or comments concerning tuning tricks, custom burned chips, P.M.S., TwEECer, Accel, F.A.S.T, idle issues or settings, TPS issues or settings, IAC issues or settings, A/F ratio, Codes, Injectors, MAF's, or anything related to the EEC should be posted in here."

How does my question not follow these guidelines? It clearly says "MAF's"

... because there's no mention or attempt to digitally tune for your issue. Your issue is a direct result of physically mismatched parts. It's no more a tuning issue than installing the wrong cam, throttle body, or other part.

You have the wrong MAF period. You can't just use any MAF you want without tuning.

Either get a correct fox-specific MAF or get a tune.

It's really a parts mismatch issue here

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

For a while I was gonna just get it dyno tuned with this MAF and run it that way. But then I thought to myself, what if it goes bad sometime down the road, what MAF do I need to buy to replace it? Because I dunno the exact vehicle it came off of (someone SAID it was off a '97 truck)
So a couple of days ago I ordered a MAF for a foxbody and it's calibrated for 24's. It'll be in either Friday or Monday. I'm still gonna get it dyno tuned eventually.

For good resolution, driveability. and room for expansion that also has the connector you need... a Lightning mass air sensor. That sensor however will require tuning.

If you're not ready to do a full blown tune then I'd suggest getting a C&L with a 24lb injector sample tube. If you buy one that's 80mm or larger then you will still have room to grow later by swapping sample tubes or tuning.

I'm not a fan of C&L's one size fits all meters because they have a tendency to be inaccurate and known for having inlet flow/turbulence issues. Most folks counter that last problem by reclocking the meter.

If you don't have plans for a lot of mods in the near future then get one of C&L's NON-swappable housings, calibrated for your 24s. It will run well, doesn't have the same problems and you can always digitally tune for larger injectors later if required (meaning it has the CFM capability but the transfer function will have to be loaded into a tuner in order to use with injectors other than 24s).

The same can be done with any quality meter though... Buy one calibrated for 24s for now, and just know that if you reuse it later with bigger injectors, that you will need to tune to do it.

PMAS makes some of the best meters on the market.

Stay away from Granatelli meters.

Summit sent me an email with the tracking number for the new MAF. It'll be in sometime tomorrow so I'll post about how the car runs after I put it on. I'm expecting it to run pretty good since it doesn't run completely terrible with the random MAF on there now.

This is what MAF I went with. Kinda wish I had went with a C&L but I guess I'll just see how this one works out for me. I've heard of good things about the Summit brand MAF's and any other Summit Brand parts I've bought have always been quality products. I'm sure they just buy in bulk from major suppliers and relabel the product.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-29051B-C/