Manual Gear Lockout

Bmfhp

Founding Member
Sep 2, 2000
Florida
Is there no gear lockout on the MT82 manual? I have twice now shifted from 4th to 3rd while trying to grab 5th. The first time I though I had blown the engine as I shifted at around 7400 RPM and the engine just shut off. It took a few seconds but it started back up. (Nothing like the feeling of doing 110+ and having no engine...) The second time I was a bit more ginger and did not dump the clutch. I am accustomed to the transmission preventing you from picking the wrong gear. I am also finding after two month that I do not like the stock shifter.

• Sponsors (?)

The only gear lockout is for reverse. Usually, it should be exponentially difficult to shift into a lower gear at some crazy high RPM, but it is possible. I think we have all made a bad shift once or twice.

It isn't a bad transmission compared to some others that I have driven, but it is very sensitive, has its idiosyncrasies, and the stock shifter assembly is quite worthless/cheap.

Look for the Ford Racing shifter and bracket or the Barton Industries shifter and bracket (literally the exact same as the Ford Racing except the Ford Racing comes with a white shift nob). This cuts down on "deflection" and streamlines the shifting, which is especially sensitive during horizontal movement/turning. This is what should be on the car from the factory, but a block of machined aluminum is too expensive compared to a stamped piece of steel with a rubber boot attached to it.

The only gear lockout is for reverse. Usually, it should be exponentially difficult to shift into a lower gear at some crazy high RPM, but it is possible. I think we have all made a bad shift once or twice.

It isn't a bad transmission compared to some others that I have driven, but it is very sensitive, has its idiosyncrasies, and the stock shifter assembly is quite worthless/cheap.

Look for the Ford Racing shifter and bracket or the Barton Industries shifter and bracket (literally the exact same as the Ford Racing except the Ford Racing comes with a white shift nob). This cuts down on "deflection" and streamlines the shifting, which is especially sensitive during horizontal movement/turning. This is what should be on the car from the factory, but a block of machined aluminum is too expensive compared to a stamped piece of steel with a rubber boot attached to it.
How difficult is it to swap out the stocker for an aftermarket shifter? I have a 2014 GT.

It depends on exactly what you replace. Just changing the shifter is about an hour job because of all the stuff you have to remove and replace. Maybe quicker if you are confident/acquainted with your center console removal.

If you also replace the shift bracket (which I highly recommend), you will have to get under the car because the stock bracket is bolted to the outside of the car just above the exhaust (let the exhaust cool down unless you want to sweat for no reason). It will add another 30-45 minutes- it's a cramped space and visibility is not great... lots of feeling around.

As I always say with most car repairs, it's not difficult. Just time consuming. 45-100 minutes if you count ALL labor.

The bracket improves shift accuracy; the shifter decreases amount of time to shift.
I also recommend beefing up the clutch. I think the stock clutch is borderline spec. If you modify anything in the drivetrain, I think it is a crapshoot whether the clutch can perform to increased power and reduced shift timing requirements.

I would go with either the MGW race spec or the new Barton Industries Hybrid 3 shifter. The issue with the stock shifter is that is mounted to the car body not the transmission, so when the drivetrain torques over at high rpms the shifter becomes misaligned which causes all sorts of shifting issues.
Both of the above shifters mount directly to the transmission and eliminates these problems. Its also a good idea to upgrade the plastic hydraulic clutch line with braided steel one.

Last edited:
MGW Race Spec is the best Mod I've done so far......NO LOCKOUTS or missed shifts unless you try to!!:rolleyes:

If you can get to Augusta, GA they do FREE installations too!!:nice:

Reactions: 1 user