Engine Mass Air F

Vettn71

Advanced Member
Jan 3, 2014
I plan to do a GT40 H/C/I later in the spring and am collecting parts. I'll be using an E303 cam, shorty headers and probably 30 lb injectors. The heads have been pocket ported and port matched. There are several 80mm Lightning MAFs available. Would this be too large for my combo? I'll also be using the stock throttle body.

TIA

Jim

• Sponsors (?)

I plan to do a GT40 H/C/I later in the spring and am collecting parts. I'll be using an E303 cam, shorty headers and probably 30 lb injectors. The heads have been pocket ported and port matched. There are several 80mm Lightning MAFs available. Would this be too large for my combo? I'll also be using the stock throttle body.

TIA

Jim

Pick a better cam, the E303 is junk. Consider something like the Comp cams XE270HR or XE276HR.

An 80mm MAF will be fine. You might want to step up to a 65-70mm TB though.

I know the E303 camis not the best choice,but it's what I have, so in it goes. I bought the heads, cam and intake in a package deal. I know there's better everything, but it comes down to what can be afforded

Jim

Use the stock maf and get a tune. I made 332 at the wheels w the stock 95 maf, (parts store reman actually) and you're not going to make that much. A larger maf isn't going to make you anymore power until yours is too small. Oh and that 332 hp was w stock tb as well. This was done w forced induction but you won't be leaving much if any on the table by using the stock tb and maf. 94/95 gt's and cobras had the same tb's and maf's for what it's worth. Going to a larger with those heads and intake isn't going to turn a tugboat into a rocket ship. You might pick up a few more hp but I bet not enough to judge by the butt dyno.

Last edited:
I hear what you're saying. This is a DD, not a track car. It probably won't ever see a competitive event. The problem I have with the stock MAFis it takes a couple-type connector, and the CAI I have has a flat flange. If I have to buy a MAF, would it hurt to get a Lightning unit?. They're a lot cheaper than a CAI

I appreciate all the feedback. Not trying to be argumentive. Just trying to weigh my options and see what I'm willing to compromise on.

Jim

Yeah the stock 94/95's have a flange. The stock fox maf's are the coupler type (which are a little smaller by the way). On the 95 it has a flange w 4 bolts.
image.jpg
<-------- the bolts are on this end .
The stock rubber hose coming from the intake slides over the other end and it's clamped down. Do you not have a maf at all currently?

Last edited:
I pulled the stock MAF and installed it with the CAI. Quite the PIA, mostly because the angle wasn't quite right due to the throttle body. These seem to be set up for aftermarket intakes and elbows. Still, it fits and will fit better when I do my H/C/I. No benefit, I know, but I figured I had to pull the stocky unit to fix my EGR tubing and this gives me better access

Jim

I was throwing a code 332. Replaced the EGR and sensor when I bought the car. Just replaced the lines and solenood, since I had to pull the wheel house. Now it's just intermittent. Close enough

Jim