Mazda Tribute ABS - disable?

hobbes80

Founding Member
Jun 29, 2002
Northern Virginia
My co-worker has a 2001 Mazda Tribute. He had a problem with the ABS that turned out not to be the recall problem.

He doesn't really want ABS anyways, other than pulling the fuse (which would disable about 4 other safety features), what is the best way to disable the ABS?

They want him to replace the ABS module and it won't pass safety inspection with the light on. Obviously the cheap fix is to remove the bulb, but it would be nicer to just disable it completely, or remove the module.

Thoughts, Ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

My co-worker has a 2001 Mazda Tribute. He had a problem with the ABS that turned out not to be the recall problem.

He doesn't really want ABS anyways, other than pulling the fuse (which would disable about 4 other safety features), what is the best way to disable the ABS?

They want him to replace the ABS module and it won't pass safety inspection with the light on. Obviously the cheap fix is to remove the bulb, but it would be nicer to just disable it completely, or remove the module.

Thoughts, Ideas?

Are you sure that It will not be able to pass inspection with the ABS light on? In every state that I know of ABS is not required to work as long as the red brake light is not on you are ok. Since not all cars have abs it's normally not required for a inspection.

Btw The only way i know of to get rid of the abs light would be to pull the bulb. The other option is to reprogram the HEC module with as built data from a tribute without ABS.

Are you sure that It will not be able to pass inspection with the ABS light on? In every state that I know of ABS is not required to work as long as the red brake light is not on you are ok. Since not all cars have abs it's normally not required for a inspection.

Btw The only way i know of to get rid of the abs light would be to pull the bulb. The other option is to reprogram the HEC module with as built data from a tribute without ABS.

It will pass emissions (obviously), but Virginia has an additional "Safety Inspection" that your vehicle has to pass. How strict depends on the shop you go to, I've had shops that passed me with bald tires and a snapped E-Brake cable with the promise that "I was fixing them that week"... I've had other shops fail me outright for having "too much glazing" on my headlights.

Pulling the bulb is what I told him to do, since it drives fine. Reprogramming the HEC is more expensive than the replacement parts, so he'll probably just get it fixed.

Thanks for the info. :nice:

--Hobbes