Mercon V, not synthetic

CobraRed_96_GT

May 20, 2006
UCSD/La Jolla
I heard from TCCOA and the ford dealer that Mercon V is synthetic and that's why we should use it in our oven of a tranny cuz of heat not breaking down syn's as fast. Well i work for a petroleum company and wanted to buy some for when i put my tranny back in after the rebuild to get a discount - while looking at the price i saw it wasn't listed as a synthetic. So i break out my 05-06 product digest and technical specs handbook and look it up to see "semi-synthetic" hand written next to the sub-heading. So then i call up to our supplier and they had no idea so they gave me Conoco Philipps distributer's number and i talk to a lady there and she looks it up and tells me it's a full mineral composition:eek:
I do see that it's flash point and deterioration temp limit is about 20-25 degrees higher than a regular Mercon/Dexron III tho, and it is very good for preventing shudders.
Just FYI
Does any other company make it that perhaps it is then a synthetic?

• Sponsors (?)

the Motorcraft Mercon V is a semi-synthetic trans fluid.
Ford/Motorcraft make a "full" synthetic trans fluid, part # XT-2-QSM and retail is $21.37 per qt:eek:

Thanks for clearing that up randy.. that full synth price is INSANE... imagine doing a BG trans flush with that stuff, 15 quarts at 21.37 a quart :lol:

I used a NON synthetic mercon III and it seemed to do better in my trans...

SVTTECH what do you recommend and how much? I know there are TONS of different answers floating around..

mecron III is just fine, ford now said we can use mercon V in any application we use III.. in fact they are replacing III with mercon multi purpose ATF... fill it untill it is a half inch below the fill plug.. you can take a zip tie or anything you can bend and stick into the hole to see how far below the hole the level is.