Missing Bolts!?

Benz510

Feb 19, 2016
Oakland California
Hey Stangnet.

Just installed a new speedometer cable and a 4 point maximum motorsports k member brace yesterday. While i was under there i noticed "some" bolts missing but not all from the bellhousing to the motor. I ordered new replacements from lmr. Anyways. Do u guys think it's still safe to drive in the meantime ? Also, Do u think this would cause vibrations in the shifter?

Thanks.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Hey Stangnet.

Just installed a new speedometer cable and a 4 point maximum motorsports k member brace yesterday. While i was under there i noticed "some" bolts missing but not all from the bellhousing to the motor. I ordered new replacements from lmr. Anyways. Do u guys think it's still safe to drive in the meantime ? Also, Do u think this would cause vibrations in the shifter?

Thanks.

If memory serves, there are only six bolts. How many is some? Did you tighten up the ones that are left?

If memory serves, there are only six bolts. How many is some? Did you tighten up the ones that are left?

Yes there is supposed to be 6. Maybe 2 bolts missing but I'm not 100% sure. I didn't tighten anything on there but that is probably a good idea.

I been driving the car with no problems. Do u think it's ok for now? I should have the new hardware from lmr by Friday.

I appreciate it. Thanks.

Yes there is supposed to be 6. Maybe 2 bolts missing but I'm not 100% sure. I didn't tighten anything on there but that is probably a good idea.

I been driving the car with no problems. Do u think it's ok for now? I should have the new hardware from lmr by Friday.

I appreciate it. Thanks.

I wouldn't drive it with more that two missing, and I certainly wouldn't drive it hard. Not at all if you don't have to. If you have to drive it, definitely check the others.

Reactions: 1 user
Unfortunately we really can't say if it's "ok" or not.

All I can say is that if there are supposed to be 6 bolts...then there really should be 6 bolts.

If you drive it, I'd certainly drive it nice and easy and don't jump on the throttle too hard. Torque is your enemy in this case and you've lost 33% of your ability to withstand the ballhousing bolts from shearing. Granted...those grade 8 bolts are strong, but you don't want to take that chance.

If they are easy to get too, I'd go to HD and get two bolts and install them. They may only be grade 5...but better than nothing. Than swap out with the good stuff when they come in.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Unfortunately we really can't say if it's "ok" or not.

All I can say is that if there are supposed to be 6 bolts...then there really should be 6 bolts.

If I drive it, I'd certainly drive it nice and easy and don't jump on the throttle too hard. Torque is your enemy in this case and you've lost 33% of your ability to withstand the ballhousing bolts from shearing. Granted...those grade 8 bolts are strong, but you don't want to take that chance.

If they are easy to get too, I'd go to HD and get two bolts and install them. They may only be grade 5...but better than nothing. Than swap out with the good stuff when they come in.
thanks for the info.