Mistake...hopefully not too bad

While trying to drain the block of coolant on my '01 GT I loosened the wrong bolt thinking it was the drain plug. :doh: I found the drain plug on the driver's side just below one of the freeze plugs, but........What is the bolt that I loosened. There are four of them evenly spaced on each side of the engine (I assume both sides, I only saw the driver's side) just above the oil pan. I loosened one and when I found that it was a long thin bolt I relaized it was NOT the drain plug. I tightened it back up, but what is it? I didn' see any sealant or lock-tite on it. I hope it wasn't bolted into something inside the engine that's now "floating" around. The head of the bolt is 9/16". Any ideas??? I'm completely clueless when it comes to engines. :shrug:

Thanks
WES

• Sponsors (?)

billyfe390 said:
You loosened a main bearing cross bolt if you only did 1 torque it back down to 90 inch pounds and forget it.

thanks for the reply. So I don't worry, right? I guess I'm being neurotic, but what would happen if that bolt worked its way loose??
How do you convert 90 inch pounds to foot pounds? do you just divide by 12?
Thanks again,

WES

01PonyGT:

Don't worry, the bolt is not going to back out if you re-torque it properly. And, yes, you divide "lb-in" to obtain the torque in "lb-ft".

FWIW, the '98 shop manual sets the torque of the main bearing cap side bolts (the one you loosened) at 14 to 17 lb-ft. The crankshaft main bearing cap adjusting screws are torqued to 80 to 97 lb-in. (No flame intended to "billyfe390").

nyuk98gt said:
01PonyGT:

Don't worry, the bolt is not going to back out if you re-torque it properly. And, yes, you divide "lb-in" to obtain the torque in "lb-ft".

FWIW, the '98 shop manual sets the torque of the main bearing cap side bolts (the one you loosened) at 14 to 17 lb-ft. The crankshaft main bearing cap adjusting screws are torqued to 80 to 97 lb-in. (No flame intended to "billyfe390").

I was just walking out my apt when I thought of that thanks for correcting me.