Mod List - Looks Good?

Hi guys,

I've been reading and searching for 2015-2016 5.0 mods and trying to come up with a game plan.

I live in CA, so I don't want to mess with anything that will be a huge PITA to return to stock for smog or a sale.

So, I'm thinking:

Cold Air Intake/tuner combo
Resonator delete xpipe (already have this)
axle back
Maybe an 85mm throttle body?
Then get an actual tune...will this benefit me above the off the shelf maps that come with the tuners?

After I pick up a bit more power/sound/throttle response from the above, I can focus on a few suspension pieces, cosmetic stuff, etc.

Sound good?? Am I missing anything basic/easy/must have?? Mine is an auto with no other options

Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

It has been over a year since you posted. Any updates?

I wish steeda CAI was CARB approved. I'd do that with a tune in a heartbeat.

Roush stage 1 supercharger setup is CARB approved. And intercooler included. Probably among the best mods available for CA residents like us.

Otherwise, Ford Racing's relatively new performance packs, also CARB approved, are probably the next best thing.

I had a 2013 GT auto that used a Bama tune and no other mods to engine or exhaust. It helped modify shift points and helped wake up the car. I'd recommend it. With the FRPP though, that makes more sense.

I'm thinking of going with the Ford Racing touring cat back exhaust. 50 state legal but saves 30lbs in weight.

The other mod I'd consider is a rear seat delete. Save some weight with a relatively cheap mod since the fastback design makes the rear seats vastly unusable IMHO.

Another mod may be in stiffening the IRS to address wheel hop. IRS subframe or bushings may be the fix. I've not yet experienced the wheel hop though.

Look into the ford racing power packs, they are carb certified, so they are 50 state legal. The stage 1 is just a K&N type filter for the stock air box and a tune, stage 2 adds the GT 350 cold air intake and an 87mm throttle body, stage 3 adds the GT 350 intake manifold. Stage 2 is the best bang for the buck, the going rate is 800 and ford claims 21 rwhp but LMR got 26 rwhp out of it. Stage 3 runs 2K and it only adds 37 rwhp.

P.S. don't add a bigger TB without a tune, the engine will not run correctly.

Last edited:
Look into the ford racing power packs, they are carb certified, so they are 50 state legal. The stage 1 is just a K&N type filter for the stock air box and a tune, stage 2 adds the GT 350 cold air intake and an 87mm throttle body, stage 3 adds the GT 350 intake manifold. Stage 2 is the best bang for the buck, the going rate is 800 and ford claims 21 rwhp but LMR got 26 rwhp out of it. Stage 3 runs 2K and it only adds 37 rwhp.

But stage 3 also yields 60 more HP at 6500 RPM so it isn't just about peak gains. It's about improving power throughout the powerband.

I still think that the Roush stage 1 supercharger setup would be among the best CA-friendly mods but it is expensive overall.