Mod Question

familyman

May 19, 2015
I recently bought a '99 GT convertible and have ordered the following parts.

SR Performance CAI
SR Performance TB/Plenum
SR Performance Underdrive Pulleys
Ford Racing 4.10 gear Kit
BAMA X4 Tuner

Here is my problem. I am leaving for vacation this Saturday and want to drive the GT but the custom tune from BAMA is not going to be completed in time. I can get everything else installed, other than the gears, before Saturday. Would you see any problem with installing the bolt-ons then doing the gears and the custom tune later?

• Sponsors (?)

Their tunes suck. They cause detonation, hardly any performance increase, and do more harm than good. I've been there, done that. There's a reason why they offer free tunes for life....

All of my mods have been completed. As a reminder, here is the list.

SR Performance CAI
SR Performance TB/Plenum
SR Performance Underdrive Pulleys
Ford Racing 4.10 gear Kit
BAMA X4 Tuner

My mechanic loaded the 93 Octane BAMA tune initially but I didn't want to run that one because I was going to drive the car to the gulf coast (and did so today) and didn't want to pay the extra cash for the fuel. So I changed the tune to the 87 Octane Performance. My first impression was that the car ran like a totally different car. Much more throttle response and power off the line. The shifts were much more abrupt, really too abrupt for my taste. So I used the BAMA tuner to adjust the pressure on each shift -10%. Then I drove 300+ miles to the gulf coast. The car ran great but there were a few shift issues. The shift from 1-2 was generally slow, like it didn't want to shift. The shift from 2-3 was always pretty smooth. The shift from 3-4 was always pretty rough and the down shift from 4-3 was always pretty rough. At one point all of the shifts got so rough that it felt like the drive shaft was going to fall off. And one more thing...on two different occasions the "O/D Off" indicator began flashing. Anyone know what that means? I appreciated any comments or suggestions.