Motor's Coming Out..... :(

kaytbugsdad

May 29, 2015
Gonna fix the engine (has a stuck ring on # 3 cylinder)........ All other cylinders are 170 PSI except # 3 (110 PSI), did a wet compression test, and it jumped right up to 165....... Tried oil in the cylinder for a few days to try and free it up, didn't work....... Anybody got any other ideas before I tear it out and re-ring it???? BTW, car only has 56K on it, but it sat for a couple of years before I got it.......

• Sponsors (?)

Sometimes they'll free up if you soak them in diesel or penetrating fluid overnight, but if there's a good amount of rust in there, you might be SOL. The trick is trying to get the area well saturated, since it sounds like everything it just leaking past the rings?

IMO though, if you're gonna pull it out and do one, you might as well do them all.

I just did the head gasket on it, since there was a variation in cylinder pressure between #2 and #3 cylinder (#1 - 170, #2 - 155, #3 - 110, #4 - 170) originally, no rust in the cylinders at all....... After #1, 2 , and 4 were all 165, #3 still 110........ I just soaked #3 in Marvel mystery oil for the past 3 days, still no change....... So, it's looking like the motor is coming out to get a new set of rings........ Just hoping there's nothing wrong with the piston itself.....

AAANNNDDDD......... #3 cylinder still has lower compression than the other three cylinders!!! :mad: Now I'm at a loss as to what the issue could be....... :bang:

Looks like I'm just gonna drive it this way till I do an engine swap (still up in the air as whether to do a 4 cylinder turbo swap or a V8),,,,,,

I pulled the head again to check for a stuck valve......... Pulled both intake and exhaust valves out, nothing out of the ordinary, other than that the exhaust valve was a little tight coming out....... cleaned everything up, put it all back together...... Now I have 20 psi in #3 cylinder!!!!! Could I possibly have a bad lash adjuster, like stuck open, holding a valve wide open????

Pulled head and sent to a machine shop to pressure check it...... #3 exhaust valve seat is toast!!! Picked up another head (rebuilt) and replaced it today...... Car runs like new again!!! Finally solved the issue......