MTV - Pimp My Ride - What are these people thinking?!

skywalker

Dec 22, 2003
Pensacola, FL
We've all seen the mustang they did. Some call it an abortion some say it isn't that bad. Personally I'm some where in between.

But I'm watching tonight (500 channels, nothing is on) and dear God! First thing is I watch the host (who is he anyhow? I know he's a rapper but I'm pretty much not a rap guy so uh yeah...) and he sits in the trust ('85 Ranger), doesn't crank it and put it in gear and says "Man, the gears must be shot, I can put it in gear with out touching the clutch!"

Well no s--- sherlock! The car isn't running!

MTV <U>must</U> have chosen the one custom shop on earth that doesn't know a thing about cars.

They lowered the thing by changing the 4 leaf springs to 2 leaf springs, and they had to be the flimsiest looking leaf springs I've ever seen, I honestly don't know why they wouldn't break going over a speed bump.

Here's my question: Why did that chick let these IDIOTS touch that mustang?!?!?!?!?! Let people who know at least an inkling of information about cars do it...

• Sponsors (?)

Xibit is cool he definatly gave the mustang the respect it deserved when he said "this car hauls arss!"

Leaf springs sound like they de arched only way to drop certain mini trucks.

Why do it? It's a cali thing man.

West Coast Customs does some bad ars work man look into them.

Why did she allow "idiots" to touch her stang....... Well not at all to my liking of what they did, but they did save a stang and that's what matters. She seemed to love it and hands down I'd love it if someone fixed my ride for me freeeeeeeeee!~ and frankly it's not your car to tell her what to do.

Sorry non cali residents for not understanding us but when a home cost half mill for something you'd pay 100k for in another state you bet your behind we'll take a freebie.

Also, I wouldn't have given $200 for that Mustang before they did it. I mean come on, it was a rusted, ragged, filty pile that no one in their right mind would use for transportation. I thought the color they chose was tasty, the interior was an absolute knockout, and other than the wheels they chose, I loved the car, so where's the harm, and why are you so worked up about it? I also cought the tail end of the Ranger build and although I'm not much of a Ranger guy, the owner was tickled pink about it, and it was light-years better than what they started with. As far as the host, I've never heard of him, but I think he's a great host. He's funny and seems to enjoy the show, what more do you want? Hope I don't come across as a jerk, but I for one am sick of everyone passing off negative opinions about cars they don't own, but that the owner's love. Can't anyone just say something positive for a change?

speaking as a former hood-rat...

the cars they build are built by hood-rats! glitz is everything funciton is always secondary. you have to look good even if you don't know what ur doing or are doing it wrong.

its gotta be bling baby;)

lol, now i'm all about function first, form second. if it doesn't run fast then why look good?

Fostang said:
Xibit is cool he definatly gave the mustang the respect it deserved when he said "this car hauls arss!"

Leaf springs sound like they de arched only way to drop certain mini trucks.

Why do it? It's a cali thing man.

West Coast Customs does some bad ars work man look into them.

Why did she allow "idiots" to touch her stang....... Well not at all to my liking of what they did, but they did save a stang and that's what matters. She seemed to love it and hands down I'd love it if someone fixed my ride for me freeeeeeeeee!~ and frankly it's not your car to tell her what to do.

Sorry non cali residents for not understanding us but when a home cost half mill for something you'd pay 100k for in another state you bet your behind we'll take a freebie.

I lived in So Cal (Camp Pendleton/Oceanside) for 5 months, I saw what it is like out there and to be honest, other than the fact that you have nices beaches and everything costs a fortune (a fact that you guys owe to your state govt :) the attitudes and styles of things really aren't all that different.

I pretty much agree about the stang...i don't like some of the stuff they did to it, but n the outside is looked pretty good, that why I said I was in between on it.

As far as the springs, well I've never understood lowering a truck, so that doesn't help me.

zookeeper said:
Also, I wouldn't have given $200 for that Mustang before they did it. I mean come on, it was a rusted, ragged, filty pile that no one in their right mind would use for transportation. I thought the color they chose was tasty, the interior was an absolute knockout, and other than the wheels they chose, I loved the car, so where's the harm, and why are you so worked up about it? I also cought the tail end of the Ranger build and although I'm not much of a Ranger guy, the owner was tickled pink about it, and it was light-years better than what they started with. As far as the host, I've never heard of him, but I think he's a great host. He's funny and seems to enjoy the show, what more do you want? Hope I don't come across as a jerk, but I for one am sick of everyone passing off negative opinions about cars they don't own, but that the owner's love. Can't anyone just say something positive for a change?

I had no problems with the tastes. Everyone is entitled to there opinions. Orange is definitely not my color, but the truck looked pretty good and the flames thing gave me a few ideas for my current seat reupholstery project.

I was worked up because those guys were so STUPID. I'm serious, I've never seen guys who seemed to know so little about cars, all they knew about was styling. I've never seen a custom shop like that.

It's been a couple or three weeks since I've seen the show, so I can't really say what the IQ of the workers is, but they didn't strike me as being morons. Here's a thought though: it's a custom shop. To me that means they restyle cars there, maybe that's why they only know about style. That crew was on the TV show "Rides" a while back, and I get the impression that they mostly deal with newer, high end customs such as killer stereos, trick paint, slap some 20's on it and call it a day. Therefore it would stand to reason that they do not know every nut and bolt on a vintage Mustang. Same goes for any production body shop these days, they work on Subarus and Toyotas all day, think they know much about older Mustangs? Anyway, I still think that ANYTIME they put a car show on TV, it can't be all bad, right? I remember the days when there was no Monster Garage, no Rides, no Overhaulin' (THE coolest new show in my opinion), no American Hot Rod, no American Chopper and the Discovery Channel only covered stuff like the sleeping conditions of the Tibetan Monks, so anytime I see the TV guys showing cars getting built, I'm pretty excited.

well, all i gotta say is.... it's MTV for one thing, so you know the programming is most likely going to suck. and 2nd...its a show about 'fixing' cars...on MTV, that alone doesn't make much sense to me. so... I prefer not to watch it, and never watch it. Overhaulin' on TLC is kinda like Pimp my Ride, but the guys that are on that show are millions of times better than the morons on pimp my ride.

P.S. MTV Sucks :)