Mustang 2015-2017 Exhausts

• Sponsors (?)

I really wanted the Borla Type S but I'm a cheap SOB by nature and couldn't justify spending $1,300 or so.

So I drove to Summit Racing (I hate waiting for stuff to ship as well) and picked up the Gibson Racing 3" X-Pipe and mids to 4.5" tips. I absolutely love how loud it is and how crazy it sounds under load. People go crazy over the sound and I get lots of thumbs up. Even from a cop!

The bad, the drone is almost unbearable in 6th gear. I've had to keep it in 5th while cruising because the drone is crazy.

Luckily I have a Ranger I daily drive so I'm not sure yet if I'm going to keep it or not. But man, do I love the sound. The sound clips I've heard online really don't do it justice.

As someone already commented, it sounds like a racing boat.
1e255db42b52df56d501b7fc44465b58.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really wanted the Borla Type S but I'm a cheap SOB by nature and couldn't justify spending $1,300 or so.

So I drove to Summit Racing (I hate waiting for stuff to ship as well) and picked up the Gibson Racing 3" X-Pipe and mids to 4.5" tips. I absolutely love how loud it is and how crazy it sounds under load. People go crazy over the sound and I get lots of thumbs up. Even from a cop!

The bad, the drone is almost unbearable in 6th gear. I've had to keep it in 5th while cruising because the drone is crazy.

Luckily I have a Ranger I daily drive so I'm not sure yet if I'm going to keep it or not. But man, do I love the sound. The sound clips I've heard online really don't do it justice.

As someone already commented, it sounds like a racing boat.
1e255db42b52df56d501b7fc44465b58.jpg

I installed the Gibson Cat Backs as well. They sound and look great, deep and aggressive tone.
However, you are right on the drone. It's pretty bad between 1500 and 2000 rpm.

I added a layer of SecondSkin Audio Luxury Liner Pro sound deadening foam with a new Lloyd mat over it.
Looks pretty good. It doesn't stop the drone, but it took the edge off of it.
I feel like the trunk is acting like a resonating chamber for the sound from the exhaust.
I may add an additional layer of foam into the well where the spare tire would normally be.

Reactions: 1 user
I installed the Gibson Cat Backs as well. They sound and look great, deep and aggressive tone.
However, you are right on the drone. It's pretty bad between 1500 and 2000 rpm.

I added a layer of SecondSkin Audio Luxury Liner Pro sound deadening foam with a new Lloyd mat over it.
Looks pretty good. It doesn't stop the drone, but it took the edge off of it.
I feel like the trunk is acting like a resonating chamber for the sound from the exhaust.
I may add an additional layer of foam into the well where the spare tire would normally be.

I agree. I want to keep mine because I love how aggressive it sounds. But the drone is so bad that it's also making evening rattle. That's driving me crazy as well.

It's a shame that Gibson couldn't get some of the drone under control. I love the build quality, I love the sound above some of the more expensive units I've heard on other Mustangs, but the drone makes it useless. Shame I tell yah!

So I'm like the only person with Borlas on an S550. :\

Axle-back S-Type with black chrome tips on a 2015 GT. Nice deep gurgling sound, almost no drone, quiet as a ninja in 6th. No complaints. Unfortunately no video.

KQcy50k.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, I have the S-types too and have pretty much zero drone and at any rpm or speed. I went with them because they stated this fact on their website, somewhere, and I knew from previous experience how annoying it is.