Mustang Gt Turns Off!!!

Kevingor

May 24, 2015
Hey so i just bought a 2005 mustang gt 5 speed and today the car was bugging out all the dash board lights came on and then car shuts off and then dont want to turn on gave it a few boosters from other cars and it turn on good then car starts to like choke and then tuens off any help off what it fould be ? I dont even got a week with it

• Sponsors (?)

Tough paragraph to follow. When it is running, is the battery light on? A bad alternator is a possibility. Perhaps a bad key switch (The electrical side) could do that too. Most likely voltage is low though. If the
"battery" light is on, charge the battery, or take it to a parts house and have them charge and test the battery. If it starts and runs fine for a little bit, but the battery light is still on, then the alternator is likely the problem. A shorted cell in the battery can also draw the alternator down, so having the battery tested is a good plan.

+1 on the last reply, and +1 on paragraph spacing and over all post penmanship. Everyone on here is more than willing to try and help answer questions like this one when they come up but if we can't understand the question, we can not answer it.
So for my. O2 cents, it sounds like your car is experiencing a voltage supply problem. The battery is bad, battery terminals need to be cleaned and/or replaced or the alternator is not charging the battery because it is bad or damaged.

Yes Kevin, please take racerraj's and stangman's advice and work on grammar so we can understand you. Your problem could be the alternator, or the big red wire/fusible link between the alternator and battery, or just an old battery. How many miles are on the car? How old's the battery? Can you push-start the 5-speed? Get a volt meter and measure the volts at the battery...running and non-running. 12 volts at rest, 14 or so when running. Clean the battery terminals: hit it with a wire brush, and baking soda, and paint it with dielectric grease. Do this with the alternator connections too.
Good luck.

100% sounds like a alternator going bad, bad battery or faulty wiring. I won't bag on you about your post like the others. One comment is enough. :)

Best way to diagnose the true culprit would be to use a DVOM on the battery when the car is off to see what voltage the battery has and since you said it needs to be jumped it's likely low (under 12.5 volts). If you can get the car started and let it idle you can hook the DVOM to the battery and see what the alternator output is which should be at 13.5-14 volts at idle. Alternatively, if you have a good scan tool that hooks up to the cars OBD2 port and has the ability to read live data and retains the right PID you can gather this information as well.

If all of this is above your head or you lack the tools you can easily pull the alternator and battery and take them to your local auto parts store and have them test both but IMO if you own an older Mustang you really should know how to perform these basic diagnostic tests.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk